complement <on my behalf>

Ivan_I

Russian
If someone has made me a compliment and I want to say:

Thank you for the complement on my behalf.

Is it ON MY BEHALF or is there anything else which can be said similar to it?

• AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    I think you mean Thank you for the compliment. End the sentence there; adding "on my behalf" is redundant.

Ivan_I

Russian
    I am not looking for the right way to reply to a compliment. I am interested in this particular phrase (on my behalf or its equivalent). Why look through the threads about "on one's behalf" if I am not even sure if it is what I need.

OK. Another example.

She made some insulting remarks on my behalf or on my part or ... what?

PS: the example with COMPLIMENT was just an example to illustrate the needed phrase. I am not interested in that particular example as such. I am just trying to give a good example so that you see what I am asking about.

Last edited:

Ivan_I

Russian
    I see... so we are getting closer to the right answer. The problem here is that I am trying to interpret it from Russian and can't find the right equivalent. Is there anything else apart from ABOUT ME? I thought there could be something more solid. About me sounds very simple...

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    Say She made some insulting remarks about me.
    I see... so we are getting closer to the right answer. The problem here is that I am trying to interpret it from Russian and can't find the right equivalent. Is there anything else apart from ABOUT ME? I thought there could be something more solid. About me sounds very simple...
    It's direct and works in any register.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    It seems that you don't understand how 'on (my) behalf'/ 'on my part'/ are used.
    "About me" is the term you need. I wonder why you persistently think we give you bad advice.:(

Ivan_I

Russian
    I don't think persistently that you give me bad advice, just once in a while.) I know that sometimes it takes more time to get to the right answer.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    The 'right answer' is usually easy when the context and the example are perfectly clear, as they seemed to be in the OP.

I am not looking for the right way to reply to a compliment. I am interested in this particular phrase (on my behalf or its equivalent).
    :confused:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Rule 1: "Before you post a question, check the WordReference dictionaries (if available) and scroll down for a list of related threads."
    If a search doesn't find the phrase you have in mind, search for the most important word, which, this case 'behalf'.

If you had checked the entry for behalf in our dictionary, you would have found:

behalf

n.
    idioms
    :
    1. in or on behalf of. Also, in or on someone's behalf. as a representative of (someone);
    (speaking) in place of or for: On behalf of the president, who could not be with us tonight, I am happy to be speaking to you.
    (In modern English 'behalf' is found only in this idiom.)

The definition would have told you that 'on my behalf' does not have the meaning you wanted.

If a dictionary definition does not answer your question, tell us that you have searched, and explain why you are still puzzled. That way people will know what still needs to be explained.

< Previous | Next >