complementar = complement???

karsal

Spanish
Tengo esta oración en español:
En esta situación se busca un cónyuge que complemente a los padres o que los reemplace.

La traducción que he hecho es la siguiente:
In this situation, a spouse is searched to complement to the parents or to replace them.

Sin embargo, complement no me termina de convencer, podrían ayudarme por favor.
Gracias.

• karsal

Spanish
    ...to support [back up] or replace the parents?
    Creo que la idea está relacionada con complementar el afecto de los padres más que con apoyar. El contexto completo es el siguiente:

Dolorosamente se comprueba que la individualidad va acompañada de separación. En esta situación se busca un cónyuge que complemente a los padres o que los reemplace.

jmale

English USA
    Hi Karsal,

I would like to help but I'm not too clear about the context of this sentence. My question is: Is this about adoption? If so, wouldn't it be?

In this situation what is done is to search for a spouse/couple to substitute for the child's parents or to replace them.

Please let me know if this fits the context.

Regards,
    jmale

karsal

Spanish
    Hi Karsal,

I would like to help but I'm not too clear about the context of this sentence. My question is: Is this about adoption? If so, wouldn't it be?

In this situation what is done is to search for a spouse/couple to substitute for the child's parents or to replace them.

Please let me know if this fits the context.

Regards,
    jmale
    It`s a psychology text about midlife crisis and it refers to the first crisis "leaving home"

jmale

English USA
    Oh, It didn't fit. Let me give it another try and let's see if this one is more appropriate...
    In English, to complement can mean to complete. so maybe the spouse having this midlife crisis is looking for a person to complete, to round out, to even out the relationship s/he had with his parents. Hope this works for you in the context of the article!

Best wishes,
    jmale

karsal

Spanish
    Oh, It didn't fit. Let me give it another try and let's see if this one is more appropriate...
    In English, to complement can mean to complete. so maybe the spouse having this midlife crisis is looking for a person to complete, to round out, to even out the relationship s/he had with his parents. Hope this works for you in the context of the article!

Best wishes,
    jmale
    Thank you very much for your help.

< Previous | Next >