complete/accomplish

< Previous | Next >

flans

Chinese
Hi, everyone, I want to know the differences among these words: complete, finish, accomplish, and end. Especially the differences between complete and accomplish. Thank you so much in advance.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Greetings, flans,

Welcome to the forum. :)

We require context when you ask a question. This means that you should give a sentence or two in which you would use these words.

I can think of a sentence in which I would use any of these words, though different words might give it a different meaning. I can think of sentences in which I would prefer one or the other. We can give you a better answer when we know what you have in mind.

Nobody answer, please, until flans has provided context.

Last edited:

flans

Chinese
    Greetings, flans,

Welcome to the forum. :)

We require context when you ask a question. This means that you should give a sentence or two in which you would use these words.

I can think of a sentence in which I would use any of these words, though different words might give it a different meaning. I can think of sentences in which I would prefer one or the other. We can give you a better answer when we know what you have in mind.

Nobody answer, please, until flans has provided context.
    Hi, Cagey First of all, Thank you for your greetings. This is the first time I have visited an English forum, although I often listen to BBC and read the latest news from NYTimes. Please correct the sentences below: I complete my homework. I accomplish my homework. I complete the project. I accomplish ... I complete a goal. I accomplish ... etc. I think complete is a high-school level vocabulary, and accomplish is a college one. Please correct my thoughts about the two words. <<deleted off-topic question >> Thank you so much! Flans

Last edited by a moderator:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In general, I use complete when I finish some specific project or thing:
    "I complete my homework/ the project."
    I use accomplish with something more abstract, like a goal.
    "I accomplish my goal."
    Others may be able to add to this.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    When will this construction project "be completed" or "accomplished" or "be done"?

Are they all correct? If so, which is best in this situation? Thank you.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "When will this construction project be completed" :tick: "accomplished" or "be done"

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Thank you PaulQ. However, I can understand “accomplish” is used for abstract things, but why “be done” is wrong as well?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It is unclear whether "done" is an adjective or a (passive) past participle and neither are idiomatic.

< Previous | Next >