Complete the rent

< Previous | Next >

Ivan_I

Russian
I need to convey the idea of "completing the renting period" of a bike. In other words, a renter needs to drop off the bike and complete the procedure of renting in the application. What would be the right title of the button in that application?

Complete the rent
Complete the renting

Something else?

• owlman5

English-US
    Have you thought about "Complete the application?" "Application" should still be very meaningful if your potential renters have not yet finished that process.

Ivan_I

Russian
    I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. Could you try to explain this better?
    Imagine, you have rented a bike. And you are about to drop it off at the designated area. But it's not enough just to leave it there. You must input some information into the application on your phone. In order to do so you have to press the button which would initiate the process of checking-out. The question is how to name the button. In Russian it's like "Complete the rent"

Have you thought about "Complete the application?" "Application" should still be very meaningful if your potential renters have not yet finished that process.
    The matter is that the renter doesn't have to sign out. They may still browse it. So, I think it's more about "finishing the rent(ing)".
    But I am not sure which term to use.

Ivan_I

Russian
    Do you mean "pick it up"? :confused:

Why would you drop off a bike you've just rented? :confused:
    Did you want me to describe your imaginary ride which took 10 minutes? I just skipped it. You rented it, got to your destination and now it's time to drop it off.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Ivan, there's no need to be snarky. I was genuinely confused. I wanted to help you, and I didn't know what you were talking about.

Since you are returning the bike, you could use "Complete Return" or "Complete Check-out." "Complete rent" doesn't make any sense, and "complete renting" is ungrammatical.

Ivan_I

Russian
    Ivan, there's no need to be snarky. I was genuinely confused. I wanted to help you, and I didn't know what you were talking about.

Since you are returning the bike, you could use "Complete Return" or "Complete Check-out." "Complete rent" doesn't make any sense, and "complete renting" is ungrammatical.
    Sorry, I think I was a bit snarky. You suggest good options.

In the line of grammar. Would this one make sense "Complete a rent". Plus, why is this ungrammatical "complete renting"? Doesn't COMPLETE take a gerund? (It's more of grammar value than the practical usage for me)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    “Complete a rent” doesn’t work. “Rent” is uncountable.

“Complete” + gerund? There may be some cases in which this works, but generally, it’s not idiomatic.

owlman5

English-US
    How about "Complete the rental process"? I'm not wild about "rental process", but I'm pretty damn sure that I've heard it a million times...

manfy

German - Austria
    How about "Complete the rental process"?
    Unfortunately that's still ambiguous. At first look I'd think of the act of renting the bike or car, i.e. the booking and reservation process. I suppose that's because most online booking sites use it that way.
    The rental contract is logically concluded once you return the rented car. Since rental bikes don't have manned return stations, the bike return must be completed by the user via an app. To avoid confusion I'd focus on the return process and elroy's suggestion "Complete (bike) return" or maybe "Conclude (bike) return" seems fairly self-explanatory.

owlman5

English-US
    I'm sold, manfy. Thanks for popping in with an explanation. "Complete bike return" or "Conclude bike return" get manfy's approval. What do you think about those phrases, Ivan?

owlman5

English-US
    Has anyone suggested 'Check the bike in'?
    I am not sure that anyone has, TT, but your suggestion sounds like a good one to me. I don't know what the limits are in determining the suitability of a suggestion for the phrase used on that button. Ivan hasn't yet told us whether any length of phrase is suitable. I assume that he may want something short in a label for the button, however.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    For me, "check out" has the wrong direction in this context.
    You can check (yourself) in to a flight, or you can check in and out of a hotel, but if you've reserved a rental car, say, then you check it out when you take possession of it and check it back in when you return it, don't you?

< Previous | Next >