compliment/complement

Earthwater

U.S.A. English
In English the word "compliment" as a verb does not just mean "say something nice", it also means "goes well together", as in "they are very different but they complement each other" or "To compliment the lamb dinner we had mint jelly" or even "complimentary triangles" in geometry.

The english-spanish dictionaries I've looked at don't translate this second meaning. Does anyone have a good translation for the alternative meaning?

Paul
Olympia, WA, USA

• gdmarcus

English, USA
    This is what I found in the WR Dictionary under "complementar":
    the colours of the room complement each other, los colores de la habitación se complementan

But I've also heard "los colores llevan bien juntos"...I don't know that it is correct, but I've heard it. Perhaps a native speaker can help here.

zumac

USA: English & Spanish
    In English the word "compliment" as a verb does not just mean "say something nice", it also means "goes well together", as in "they are very different but they complement each other" or "To compliment the lamb dinner we had mint jelly" or even "complimentary triangles" in geometry.

The english-spanish dictionaries I've looked at don't translate this second meaning. Does anyone have a good translation for the alternative meaning?

Paul
    Olympia, WA, USA
    By the way, Paul, welcome to the forum!!!

Saludos.

< Previous | Next >