compose vs invent an essay

degg

chinese - Taiwan
Hello everyone,

I'm doing an English exercise and not so sure about the answer.

" Before you _______ an essay, you might make an outline. "

A. compose B. invent C. excel

Please help me! Thank you!

• Copyright

American English
    Welcome to the forum. :)

For multiple-choice questions, we like to have your opinion before we share ours. Thank you.

degg

chinese - Taiwan
    Welcome to the forum. :)

For multiple-choice questions, we like to have your opinion before we share ours. Thank you.
    Hi!
    This is an one-answer question and the answer of the exercise isn't published.
    I'm sure that the answer is compose or invent.
    I hope to receive the comments on which one is better for the blank.
    Thanks for you reply.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Composition" is an alternative word for "essay", and in BE it is - or was - the usual term for our attempts at creative writing in primary school. We don't often talk about "composing an essay" though it is possible and it's the best choice of the three.

Edit: I think it would mean "write with care", rather than just "write". I "composed" a letter of complaint means that I took a lot of care in the writing of it.

degg

chinese - Taiwan
    "Composition" is an alternative word for "essay", and in BE it is - or was - the usual term for our attempts at creative writing in primary school. We don't often talk about "composing an essay" though it is possible and it's the best choice of the three.

Edit: I think it would mean "write with care", rather than just "write". I "composed" a letter of complaint means that I took a lot of care in the writing of it.
    I got it! Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >