composite instrument

< Previous | Next >

Arcy

Romanian, Romania
Hello,

This one is about forklift trucks and my context is:

"engine overheating, red warning light in composite instrument ..."

Can it be a control instrument, perhaps?

• Matching Mole

England, English
    It would be better if you were to quote in full sentences, as missing context may be critical. For example, what is the word after "instrument"?

"Composite instrument" is not a general term as far as I'm aware (Google tells us that it is a dental tool, for example). Something like "composite instrument panel", however, would be comprehensible.

Arcy

Romanian, Romania
    Hi, Bibliolept!

The whole item is part of a table entitled troubleshooting guide and the whole text of this problem&trouble is:

Engine overheating, red warning light in composite instrument illuminated. Stop the engine immediately.

then it goes on to say what is the cause of the problem ( coolant level low, Fan V-belt either slack or broken) how to remedy the problem, etc.

Arcy

Romanian, Romania
    It would be better if you were to quote in full sentences, as missing context may be critical. For example, what is the word after "instrument"?

"Composite instrument" is not a general term as far as I'm aware (Google tells us that it is a dental tool, for example). Something like "composite instrument panel", however, would be comprehensible.
    Hi, Matching Mole,

Yes, I think, it must be something to do with a composite instrument panel. Please check my larger (if It can be called so) context...

Arcy

Romanian, Romania
    No, the manual has sentences, although they are sometimes looking like pure orders and instructions, but here in this case I have a Troubleshooting Guide Table and I quoted the entire item, please check it out if it can be of help. thank you.

Matching Mole

England, English
    I agree with you. A composite instrument panel, as I said, makes sense, and would be understood. It's a panel that contains the read-outs of various instruments.

Is this not another case of a translation made by a non-English speaker? This sort of incomprehensibility is notorious in the English instruction manuals of equipment made by non-English speaking manufacturers.

Arcy

Romanian, Romania
    Yes. dear Matching Mole,

This is exactly it. It is probably a translation from German into English and I am now translating the manual into Romanian. Since it does not have as many turns of phrases it should be simple enough. Unfortunately since it is fragmentary in expression it becomes unclear in many places.

Thank you, so in conclusion: a dash board! Would you agree, please?

I agree with you. A composite instrument panel, as I said, makes sense, and would be understood. It's a panel that contains the read-outs of various instruments.

Is this not another case of a translation made by a non-English speaker? This sort of incomprehensibility is notorious in the English instruction manuals of equipment made by non-English speaking manufacturers.

< Previous | Next >