Composti

Citrinette

Canadian, English
more problems :( I'm having difficulty with the word "composti" here, is it compound, composite, mix? And I'm also having difficulty with the word order.

Original sentence:
Con il passare degli anni si è notato che il cemento Portland presenta alcuni problemi conservativi causati dallo sviluppo durante la cottura di composti non legati e/o gassosi che rimangono all’interno del materiale...

My sentence:
Portland cement has presented a few preservation problems over the years caused by the development of certain gaseous compounds within the mortar and compounds that haven't bonded during the firing process...

Or maybe I should flip it around:
Due to certain compounds that haven't bonded during the firing process or gaseous compounds within the mortar (or both), there have been preservation problems over the years.
I don't like either...
Thanks!

Last edited:
  • TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Con il passare degli anni
    si è notato che il cemento Portland presenta alcuni problemi conservativi
    causati dallo sviluppo durante la cottura
    di composti non legati e/o gassosi
    che rimangono all’interno del materiale...

Over many years, Portland cement presents preservation problems caused by the development of certain gaseous or unbound compounds within the mortar...
    Over time,...
    Over an extended period of time,...

Just some ideas.
    I often get stuck when I try to keep the same order of the Italian sentence, but I think it might work here.

Citrinette

Canadian, English
    Hmmm that does help yeah. So compounds and unbound. Did you leave out the "cottura" part specifically or should I try to jam it in there? Thanks :)

alenaro

Italian
    Con il passare degli anni
    si è notato che il cemento Portland presenta alcuni problemi conservativi
    causati dallo sviluppo durante la cottura
    di composti non legati e/o gassosi
    che rimangono all’interno del materiale...

In my opinion there are commas missing in there, so the sentence should have been written like the following:
    Si è notato che il cemento Portland presenta alcuni problemi conservativi causati dallo sviluppo, durante la cottura, di composti...

Citrinette

Canadian, English
    Nah...I just forgot...:eek::)
    You can slide it in anywhere you want.:)
    Haha, that's what you think!! ;)

How bout:
    Over many years, Portland cement presents preservation problems caused by the development, during the firing, of certain gaseous or unbound compounds that remain within the mortar...

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Over many years, Portland cement presents preservation problems caused by the development, during firing, of certain gaseous or unbound compounds that remain within the mortar...

Over many years, Portland cement presents preservation problems caused by the development of certain gaseous or unbound compounds during firing that remain within the mortar...

I think you might put it where it sounds best to you.

But interestingly, I'm still agonizing over the first part...how best to express the idea that "over a long period of time" the grout doesn't work well.:eek::)

But I think there are enough English texts on mosaics (I assume this is about mosaics because you're in Ravenna) that could give you a hand.

elemika

Russian
    In my opinion there are commas missing in there, so the sentence should have been written like the following:
    Si è notato che il cemento Portland presenta alcuni problemi conservativi causati dallo sviluppo, durante la cottura, di composti...

Hi all,
    agree with Alenaro.
    One of main problem of the Portland cement is the presence of free/unbound oxides of calcium (CaO) and of magnesium (MgO). After high-temperature heating of the clinker which is used to prepare Portland cement some quantity of CaO and MgO can persist. They are overburnt, have large crystalline structure and are capable of very slow reacting with water at the late stages when the cement is already hard. But after their hydratation the oxides highly increase in volume giving the cracks and destroying the construction.
    In the corse of clinker preparation they also apply heat-destruction of carbonates into CO2 (gas) and salts. But some part of remaining carbonate could give this gas afterwords reacting with the metal oxides in dry product. Otherwise, some CO2 can be dissolved in the water during cement fabrication and be evolved later.
    So the important point here is "sviluppo, durante la cottura, di composti..":
    formation of the unbound and/or gaseous compounds at the firing/heating

Maybe this could help :)