compound adjective: posterior lateral superior?

u100

______
Hi all,

is it correct to form an adjective: "posterior lateral superior"? All three words are of the same importance here, so I'm not sure if I can create such neologisms as "posterolateral superior" etc. Please let me know if you have any idea how to deal with it.

Regards,

u100

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    Can you give context or explain what you're trying to describe? It's difficult to comment on the three adjectives by themselves.

u100

______
    I want to describe a type of dislocation in the hip joint and it's a posterior lateral superior one :)

Andygc

British English
    Do you actually need to describe it that way? It is normal for the head of the femur to move laterally and superiorly in a posterior dislocation of the hip.

It would be wrong to describe a hip dislocation as posterolateral, because posterior is one of the three types of hip dislocations, ie:
    posterior dislocation
    anterior dislocation
    central dislocation

If you must add to that classification then I suppose you would need to write superolateral posterior dislocation, but I am mystified why you would want to. The normal system of classification is based on the type of associated fracture, not the final position of the head of the femur.

I think we need a bit more detail of the context.

u100

______
    Thanks, you have convinced me and I suppose I just have to contact the author of the text to find out if there's no mistake in it. To be honest, the description sounds strange even in my language, so there must be something wrong with it...

The strange adjective should appear also with referrence to acetabulum, i.e.

"pressure is exerted on the posterior superior lateral part of the acetabulum".

Andygc

British English
    Thanks, you have convinced me and I suppose I just have to contact the author of the text to find out if there's no mistake in it. To be honest, the description sounds strange even in my language, so there must be something wrong with it...

The strange adjective should appear also with referrence to acetabulum, i.e.

"pressure is exerted on the posterior superior lateral part of the acetabulum".
    That sounds as though it is a description of the direction of the force that causes a posterior dislocation - typically in a car accident with the person seated. I suppose I might write it as "superolateral aspect of the posterior rim of the acetabulum", but that still seems clumsy.

< Previous | Next >