compounding acceleration

Michael30000

Russian
Hello everyone,

From the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman.

We will look at this issue more closely in the next two chapters, but for now suffice it to say that national and state leadership should be about enabling the compounding acceleration of local start-ups in both the economic sector and the social sector to build resilient and prospering citizens who have the skills and institutional support to keep pace with the age of accelerations.

What is the meaning of compounding in "compounding acceleration"?
Does it mean complex, i.e. acceleration in many aspects?

Thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    More context would be useful. What is the issue that will be looked at more closely?

There’s only a limited preview of the book online, but this remark from it may be relevant:

“When you have a compounding problem, you need a compounding solution,” added Hoffman.​

Michael30000

Russian
    Thank you, lingobingo.

Well, the paragraph I quoted is the last one in the chapter.

The chapter itself (titled Getting Federalism Right) doesn't consider any specifc issue - it's just a general talk about the balance between the federal and local government. The issue that will be looked at is this balance.

This is the previous paragraph:

Therefore the real question, argues Marshall, is “How can the states and the federal government become better partners with local leaders?” The short answer is: wherever possible, the thrust of federal government should shift from offering solutions driven by the national bureaucracy to incentivizing, enabling, and inspiring experimentation and innovation from the local and individual level upward.

lingobingo

English - England
    Thanks for the extra info, but I’m still not sure about it. I think you need an American to answer this.

srk

English - US
    Compounding interest (in banking) is interest earned not only on the original investment, but also on the interest already earned. Earnings increase at an ever increasing rate. He seems to be saying that acceleration (increase in the number) of start-ups causes further acceleration of start-ups. The process feeds on itself. I don't know the book.

< Previous | Next >