Compromise my income

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
I don't mind raise the tax, as long as it doesn't compromise my income.

What does "compromise" mean here? Does it mean "bring something into danger"? Is it common to say like that? Thank you.

• jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    I don't mind raise the tax, as long as it doesn't compromise my income.

What does "compromise" mean here? Does it mean "bring something into danger"? Is it common to say like that? Thank you.
    A. What do you think of the new mayor? I heard he is going to raise the tax.
    B. I don't mind he raises the tax, as long as it doesn't compromise my income.
    What does "compromise" mean here? Is it common to say like that?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    If you wrote the sentence yourself, jokaec, then you must know what you wanted it to mean. Please tell us what you are tring to say in your sentence.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    If you wrote the sentence yourself, jokaec, then you must know what you wanted it to mean. Please tell us what you are tring to say in your sentence.
    I heard it somewhere. Anyway, can "compromise my income" means "make my income decrease "?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    So in my case, it makes sense to say "compromise my income" which means "jeopardize my income"
    I'm not sure I understand how a tax increase could put your income in danger. Will you lose your job if taxes go up? Can you explain a bit more about what you are trying to say?

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    In this case I think "compromise" means that your income actually decreases. It isn't just in danger of being negatively affected.
    Thank you both.
    So it's better to say "as long as the increasing tax doesn't "affect my income negatively" or "decrease my income". Am I right?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Your income is the money you earn. Do you mean that the tax increase will lower the amount of money you earn? Or do you simply mean that a tax increase will mean you have to pay more (an increase in your outflow of money -- your expenses)?

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Your income is the money you earn. Do you mean that the tax increase will lower the amount of money you earn? Or do you simply mean that a tax increase will mean you have to pay more (an increase in your outflow of money -- your expenses)?
    Thank you. I meant the tax increase will lower the amount of money I earn.

< Previous | Next >