Compromise Of Safety

learnersuper

Banned
Chinese - Hong Kong
I am not sure about the usage of the noun "compromise" in this wikipedia article:

The report was highly critical of NASA's decision-making and risk-assessment processes. It concluded the organizational structure and processes were sufficiently flawed and that a compromise of safety was expected no matter who was in the key decision-making positions.
The usage of the noun form of "compromise" in the wikipedia article appears to mean "expose to danger". But, according to this dictionary,
the verb form of "compromise" has a "expose to danger" sense. But the noun form of "compromise" does not have the "expose to danger" sense. So, is the usage of the noun "compromise" in the wikipedia article wrong? Would a rewrite using the verb form of "compromise", by replacing "a compromise of safety" with "compromising safety":

It concluded the organizational structure and processes were sufficiently flawed and that compromising safety was expected no matter who was in the key decision-making positions.
be better?

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, LS. I agree that "a compromise of safety" sounds strange. "Compromising safety" is an awkward subject before "was expected", however.

If I had to use some form of "compromise" in this sentence, I'd use the adjective "compromised": ...and that compromised safety was expected...

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >