compromise

intokaos

Español
Hello, I am translating this paragraph from Survival Strategies for People on the Autism Spectrum by Marc Fleisher and I have a doubt about the term "compromise" in the following context:

Many sports impose great demands on your muscles and working parts of your feet, hands and body, and if you are not fully warmed up, you stand much more risk of pulling a muscle or incurring an injury. On the other end of the scale there are those people who are super-fit and spend nearly all their time in the gym. This may be expected if they are world-class sportsmen, but for the average club player a compromise between these two extremes is advisable.

If someone could tell me its meaning, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

• Liam Lew's

Is there more text? It looks like the last sentence refers to the rest of this passage and to a previous passage.
    But however, the word "compromise" means something like a middle course/way. A solution that regards both caring about health and caring about sport.

It's a bit hard to explain. Maybe a native can provide a clearer/better/more profound explanation.

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    Not very good, is it? He is using 'compromise between' with its normal meaning, but has made a complrte mess of defining the two extremes which the reader is encouraged to make a compromise between. I think he means that a club player should be fit and warm up properly before playing sport. The extremes are totally unfit/not warmed up and super fit/thoroughly warmed up.

< Previous | Next >