Compte là-dessus et bois de l'eau

harbottle

Australia; English
D'où vient la signification de cette phrase: "compte là-dessus et bois de l'eau"? Comme traduction, je suppose que c'est quelque chose comme "not bloody likely" mais j'ai mal à la traduire littéralement.

"Count on it and drink water?" je ne sais pas.

La contexte: il s'agit d'une texte où quelqu'un a offert de rendre une service à cet homme qui y voit une piège : "Pour que tu saches où nous créchons? Compte là-dessus et bois de l'eau".

Est-ce que quelqu'un l'a jamais entendu?

PS: they're on a boat at that point, if that helps.

• klodaway

It has nothing to do with the fact htat they are on a boat.

The complete sentence is "Compte là-dessus, bois de l'eau, et tu vivras longtemps.", but it can be shortened as in your example, with the same meaning.
    I do not know of the origin of the expression, but you got the general meaning; basically "Don't count on it!" It is the translation I would suggest... for lack of a better idea.

klod-

tilt

French French
    Cette expression n'est pas très commune, mais je l'ai déjà entendue, principalement dans des films un peu anciens (années 70 ou avant) me semble-t-il.

Ne sachant pas quel sens donner à "not bloody likely", je ne peux confirmer ta traduction.
    Tout ce que je peux dire, c'est que cette expression signifie, en fait, un refus.

Un équivalent bien plus courant serait tu peux toujours courir !

FAC13

English, UK
    How rude is it? You could safely say "don't count on it" in almost any circumstance, but "not bloody likely" is much stronger.

tonio218

FRANCE\français
    Hi,

I remember this sentence in a turkey !
    A gang and the hero are close to a swimming pool and he answered this to the terrorist boss (the boss asked him to give up...)
    I remember laughing for ages but it's not true french.
    Most of us will frown if they hear that.

Basically, it means "not bloody likely", I think it's a strong answer.

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    I’ve heard this expression a long time ago. I understand it to mean (apart from not likely), you can say ‘keep whistling (for it)”, “fat chance” (of that happening), “keep on dreaming”.

… I remember this sentence in a turkey ! […]
    :D do you mean that you saw in a film that was a turkey, or you saw it (in a film?) when you were in Turkey (the country), or were you really in a turkey (must've been a very large one!)? :D :)
    As tilt said, it is not rude, but either shows irritation or is used in an ironic/humourous way.
    klod-
    :tick: That's how I understand it

tonio218

FRANCE\français
    :D do you mean that you saw in a film that was a turkey, or you saw it (in a film?) when you were in Turkey (the country), or were you really in a turkey (must've been a very large one!)? :D :)
    lol,

Yes that sentence was extracted from a film which was a turkey, not extracted from a turkey !!! when I read my post now, I feel like a diviner !!! :D (at least it makes you laugh!!!)

I love this expression as soon as I discovered it, think it's a funny/weird/stupid way to say "keep on dreaming", "no way"
    It's trully never used in France.

Micia93

France French
    Yes, it still is, not very often I must admit
    as Tilt said, we heard him in some films (written by Michel Audiard for instance)
    some people aged 50 or more would use it I presume

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Not bloody likely is typically BE (and I think big in OZ too).

We understand it in the US but wouldn't use it very much unless we were joking around or trying to "sound British" (this is the case with almost any non-medical expression using the word bloody)

In AE it would be In your dreams! or more bluntly, Don't hold your breath! Or if you are a native-born New Yorker, possibly Fuggedaboudit!

atjwal

fr
    Dans tes rêves ! is also very common in French.
    If I remember well "Dans tes rêves" appeared a few years ago, possibly a (lazy) word-to-word translation of "In your dreams" in American TV series.

"Compte là-dessus et bois de l'eau fraîche" was a common sentence (maybe still is ?) among schoolchildren in my region , or used by adults addressing children.

< Previous | Next >