Compulsive Individualism Disorder?

Mark Davis

Dutch
Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone might have the time to help me find the appropriate word to describe a condition or a person with certain traits. 'Award Urge' or 'Individualism' could be used to describe the need to ride a bright red bike into town. But this person takes it way further than that.

Regardless of whatever the ongoing discussion is, you can count on it that this person is opposed to what the majority thinks and he/she likes to share his/her opinions for the sake of being different from everyone else.

He or she would deliberately wear bright colors and ripped jeans to a formal meeting just to be noticed and to provoke. He or she often describes herself/himself as complex, spiritual, fiery and creative. He or she claims not to care about what other people think about him/her while always working very hard to assert his/her presence.

People who choose to commit to mandatory or common aspects of life (like buying a house, starting a family or having a long time steady job) are often described by this person as plain and simple cattle or civil simpletons walking the set course of life.

Basically, everything about this person seems to evolve around his/her deep fear to be average or in any way like other people.

If anyone knows a medical term, a 'fobia' perhaps or another way to describe this condition or a person suffering from these character traits, I'd like to hear it.

Kind regards,

Mark

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The person appears to be "an attention-seeker".
    People who choose to commit to mandatory or common aspects of life (like buying a house, starting a family or having a long time steady job) are often described by this person as plain and simple cattle or civil simpletons walking the set course of life.
    Not in idiomatic English - they are simply called "sheep" or "sheeple" (an amalgam of sheep and people.)

Mark Davis

Dutch
    Wow, that was quick! Thank you PaulQ and ain'ttranslationfun? for your suggestions. "Attention-seeker" seems accurate. I am Dutch so forgive me if I use the wrong words or the wrong punctuation (I see you use double quotation marks). But all corrections are appreciated. I tried some friends and they suggested "special snowflake" for the person and "smug" for the trait.

london calling

UK English
    Attention seeker, no doubt about it. Snowflake carries a different meaning, see this Wikipedia article about the Snowflake Generation. An attention seeker is not smug either in my opinion. If you are smug you are overly confident in yourself but you do not not necessarily seek attention compulsively.

Mark Davis

Dutch
    Yes, I'd say the person I'm reffering to is both "boringly unconventional" and an "attention-seeker". Thank you velisarius. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my question. Maybe I should have asked for a word that defines an exaggerated urge to be different or unique.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    If anyone knows a medical term, a 'fobia' perhaps or another way to describe this condition or a person suffering from these character traits, I'd like to hear
    I think I missed this bit when I read the question. I have no idea of what clinical term might be used. Some kind of personality disorder? Or perhaps this is not regarded as a pathological condition. I would think it's within the bounds of the "normal".

london calling

UK English
    I think I missed this bit when I read the question. I have no idea of what clinical term might be used. Some kind of personality disorder? Or perhaps this is not regarded as a pathological condition. I would think it's within the bounds of the "normal".
    Define 'normal'. :) It's difficult to say, as the person would have to be examined by an expert in order to establish if his behaviour is 'normal' or not. I have a cousin who is a diagnosed schizophrenic and whose behaviour some of the time fits the description rather well. That's why I personally refrained from suggesting any form of medical term.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Define 'normal'.
    Ha ha! That's why I put it in inverted commas. If the OP wants to suggest that this person is suffering from some kind of medical condition, especially one that may be conquered by suitable treatment, like a phobia, I don't think any of our suggestions so far would work.

I'm wondering what the context is for this, and how clinically accurate the term needs to be.

Mark Davis

Dutch
    Once again, thank you for your additions Dale Texas, 'london calling' and 'You little ripper!'. They all seem right. Looking at my original post, I think I might have tried to find a single word to describe too many characteristics. Let's add things up. So far we have...

A boringly unconventional, determinedly eccentric, attention-seeking deliberate non-conformist who is suffering from compulsive non-conformist syndrome.

< Previous | Next >