Computing power and storage/computing and storage power

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Michael30000, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Michael30000 Senior Member

Russian
    Hello everyone,

In the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman I have the following sentences (just a few paragraphs apart):

Thank You for Being Late

Computing power and storage reached a level that made it possible for us to create an algorithm that could make a lot of sense out of things we could not make sense of before,” explained Palantir’s cofounder Alexander Karp.

And a little further:

Last but certainly not least, in 2007 the cost of DNA sequencing began to fall dramatically as the biotech industry shifted to new sequencing techniques and platforms, leveraging all the computing and storage power that was just exploding.

Does both phrases in question refer to the same things?

I understand "computing power and storage" to mean computing power and storage power.
    Or should I understand it to mean computing power and computing storage?

Thank you.

2. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    I understand "computing power and storage" to mean computing power and storage power.
    —————

Why? What it implies is computing power and computing storage – the adjective “computing” modifying both nouns.

However… the second instance does mean computing power and storage power – the noun “power” being modified by both computing and storage.

3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    1. “(i) Computing power, and (ii) storage reached a level that made it possible...

2.There are two meanings of "power": the biotech industry shifted to new sequencing techniques and platforms, leveraging all the computing power (force) and storage power ("the power to store data" capacity) that was just exploding.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. Uncle Jack

Uncle Jack Senior Member

Cumbria, UK
    British English
    Computing power is well understood to mean the number of calculations that can be done in a given time (which isn't the technical meaning of "power" as used by scientists and engineers, by the way). Power isn't a word usually used with storage (and isn't in the first quote), but can easily be understood to mean a combination of capacity and speed of access.

Both quotes refer to the same general developments.

5. Michael30000 Senior Member

Russian
    Lingobingo, Paul, Uncle Jack, thank you.

6. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Yes, both phrases are ambiguous, and at least one is illogical if you read it the wrong way. No doubt the intention was for them to both mean the same thing, but someone (maybe a rookie editor) got it wrong.