comulgar con gafas de madera

eugeninho gaúcho

USA - english
hello,
i found this expression in the athletic club de bilbao website, in an article reporting the barcelona x bilbao game on 2 september.

i haven't a clue how to translate it, so any help is appreciated.

Aceptemos, si se quiere, y con deportividad, que ha sido falta y que el encuentro se ha puesto demasiado pronto cuesta arriba. Lo que es inaceptable es pensar que la jugada que ha precedido al 2-0 haya sido penalti y, mucho menos, comulgar con gafas de madera pensando que una vez consumado el estreno goleador de Susaeta en partido oficial (m. 70) el asistente haya podido ver gol y, de paso, haya echado por tierra las renacidas ilusiones de nuestro equipo.

• HDP

Spain Spanish
    I've never heard this expression, but it seems to mean the same as "comulgar con ruedas de molino", which is to put up with something which is clearly unfair.

I hope it serves you well, eugeninho gaúcho!

eugeninho gaúcho

USA - english
    hdp,
    given the context, your answer sounds about right. the article complained that even thought barcelona was the stronger team, they got "help" from the referee who gave a non-existant penalty to barça for their second goal, then awarded a third goal to the catalans that athletic claiimed never actually entered the goal. so athletic felt the result was clearly unfair. (i didn't see the game myself).

i'm going to send another post concerning another expression from the same article.

un abrazo,
    eugene

HDP

Spain Spanish
    Yes, it makes sense.
    I'll see if I can help you again.

Un saludo,
    HDP

< Previous | Next >