Con criterio

*Shell*

Italian
Hi,

I didn't find an appropriate/convincing translation for the expression "fare qualcosa con criterio", that basically means "do something attentively considering its implications", sort of "do sthg in a well-judged way"...
There is no particular context for my question, this expression can be used in various situations.

Can you help?

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi,

I think you might handle it in a variety of ways such as:

...do X with attention to detail...
    ...do X paying attention to its implications...
    ...do X with great care...
    ...do X with great consideration
    and many more...

But it would be very contextual.

ohbice

To me the context is important, and in the o.p. it is missing.
    In un registro basso - di consuetudine famigliare, per esempio - fare una cosa con criterio secondo me significa semplicemente non fare le cose alla carlona, non fare le cosa alla :warning: cazzo. Do not be careless, or slapdash.

PatCr

English
    That seems too broad to me. It's surely more specific than bene, the most direct equivalent of 'well'.
    Obviously if we have a more specific context, we could add the pertinent qualifier, but as a general translation without a specific situation, as per the original message, I think it could work........well!!

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Obviously if we have a more specific context, we could add the pertinent qualifier, but as a general translation without a specific situation, as per the original message, I think it could work........well!!

I tend to agree with tsoapm. In Italian, 'con criterio' is not used as an equivalent of 'bene'. It's more like 'discerningly', perhaps a tad less refined, but just a tad. Other terms in the same family are, I think, 'advisedly', perhaps 'deliberately' and others.