con el conjunto de la bibliografía

< Previous | Next >

Terentiaparera

English - UK
Hi, please could someone explain this phrase? It appears regularly in footnotes, referring to someone else's work: (to learn more about the subject of x) Véase M. López, con el conjunto de la bibliografía.

Does it mean "with the entire bibliography"? "alongside the bibliography"?

Is there a corresponding standard academic English phrase?

Gracias de antemano!

• Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    It appears regularly in footnotes
    :confused: I guess it must be somewhere in the Americas but even then… Anyway, I suspect that its intended meaning isn't what it really means so let's see if someone familiar with the usage tells you its intended meaning.

jilar

Español
    Se refiere a toda la bibliografía ya indicada (títulos y autores, que entre ellos no está M. López) y, además, ver lo que dice ese autor sobre el tema (a lo mejor tiene varios libros que tratan ese tema)

rajulbat

English - United States (Houston)
    When a footnote refers a reader to a certain publication as well as the publications cited within the work cited, we write: "See M. Lopez, and works cited therein." But based on Ciprianus #7 and Jilar #9, "con el conjunto de la bibliografía" means to see the M. Lopez in addition to the bibliography of the instant document. In that case, we would say something like: "See M. Lopez; see also works cited in Bibliography, infra."

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    Signica que además de ver la bibliografía hay que ver también lo que dice López.
    ¿Dónde? Porque López puede tener cientos de obras y artículos... Algunos de ellos pueden ser incluso desconocidos para el lector. Eso de citar a un autor sin referirse a ninguna obra suya en concreto, me parece muy poco académico, pero no descarto que haya quien lo haga. Yo, afortunadamente, aún no me he topado con ningún académico que incluya ese tipo de notas a pie de página en sus escritos.

When a footnote refers a reader to a certain publication as well as the publications cited within the work cited, we write: "See M. Lopez, and works cited therein."
    That makes sense but the Spanish wording of the original doesn't make it.

Terentiaparera

English - UK
    Thank you for these really interesting contributions. To refine the context:
    - The authors do specify a particular work, not just generically Lopez (so e.g. Lopez 2014, My Famous Book: Oxford). (So yes, suggesting the reader consults everything written by Lopez and lots of other people is not, I think, suggested by the context - as well as being un-academic)
    - The phrase is used in footnotes to support a particular point made, or to give the reader further information about a subject the author mentions but does not write at length about. (So I guess the assumption is you will read Lopez, as well as something to do with a bibliography ' in which case, why state "con el conjunto..." in this example? And why only one or two examples?)
    - The phrase may be used more than once in an article, and with different authors (García 1999, Very Important Study: Harvard might also have this phrase). (So I am not sure why the author would suggest "con el conjunto de la bibligrafía" for one or two items and not all of them)
    - They are Spanish authors.

Does this help?!

jilar

Español
    Con lo que explicas ahora se aclara todo.
    Antes nos anotaste esta nota
    Véase M. López, con el conjunto de la bibliografía.
    Y, claro, ahí es una referencia a M. López, sin más, lo cual es extraño como decía Circunflejo.

Pero ahora nos dices que se indica una obra concreta de ese autor.

Pues ahí lo tienes, la nota te invita a ver lo que dice López en ese libro y que además consultes la bibliografía del propio libro o artículo que estás leyendo.

¿Que podía sólo decir "...junto con la bibliografía"? Pues sí. Pero es gente que le gusta y tiene la capacidad de expresarse de muy diferentes modos. No debería extrañarte que la gente adorne sus frases.

El conjunto de la bibliografía = toda la bibliografía = la bibliografía.

En el artículo dicen algo, por ejemplo cuando Newton explica la gravedad, ese algo se puede comprobar en otros libros (ya indicados en la bibliografía) y, además, en una o dos, ... concretas de M. López.

Si quieres profundizar en el tema te invitan a leer esas obras (las de la bibliografía y esas obras concretas de ese autor... Y no otras, porque en otras puede simplemente no tratar ese tema, así que a ti no te interesarían)

Es así o te estoy entendiendo mal.

Terentiaparera

English - UK
    Thanks, jilar. So a good translation should be "see Lopez, and bibliography"? (Just to be 110% clear: the bibliography included by the author of this article, not Lopez's bibliography?)

jilar

Español
    No, así solo "See López, ..." no.

¿No se indica una obra concreta de él?
    De ese modo sería "See X by M.López"

Donde X es el título de esa obra, artículo, o lo que sea.

rajulbat

English - United States (Houston)
    If there is only one work by Lopez cited in the bibliography it could be abbreviated to "See Lopez,..." without specifying the work. If there are two Lopez works, it will be "See Lopez, 1901" "See Lopez, 1902", etc. And if there are two Lopez works from the same year, generally it's "See Lopez, 1902b." That's what I was taught in undergrad...

I believe that's the APA convention (not taking the time to look it up at the moment).

Terentiaparera

English - UK
    Yes, the authors always reference a specific work according to the correct conventions. They sometimes add "con el conjunto de la bibliografía", but it is only to a very few of the references they provide.
    Thus, "Véase Lopez, X, 1999 etc, con el conjunto de la bibliografía".

With this in mind, would a reasonable translation be, "See Lopex, X, 1999 etc... and bibliography"?
    If so, do they refer to the bibliography provided by López, or by the author referencing Lopez?

Thanks.

Terentiaparera

English - UK
    I've just come across a new variation: Lopez 2011, con el conjunto de las propuestas y la bibliografía,
    Does this help? Any suggestions?
    It refers to a point on which many different theories have been proposed. So, "with all the theories and the bibliography"?

cf.
    para esta (point in the main text) y el conjunto de las interpretaciones propuestas: Lopez 2001.
    for this and all the interpretations suggested: Lopez 2001

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >