con l’incontro di molti e nobili assecondamenti

Yshay1979

Italian
Hi,

I am currently translating an extract from a speech Pope Pius XI gave in 1929.
The original sentence is the following:

E con la grazia di Dio, con molta pazienza, con molto lavoro, con l’incontro di molti e nobili assecondamenti, siamo riusciti « tamquam per medium profundam eundo » a conchiudere un Concordato

I am really stuck on this phrase. :confused: The term "assecondare" is used elsewhere in the text and I had translated it as "second", however the term doesn't seem to be used as a noun in English (neither in Italian to be honest).
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• Yshay1979

Italian
    Hi AlabamaBoy,

thanks, however, "assecondamenti" doesn't sound like people to me, but like acts. In a previous passage the Pope says "they had been nobly seconded" (siamo stati anche nobilmente assecondati). It sounds to me that they have been supported in a few occasions (the entire speech is about the relationshio between the church and the fascist regime) and now, thanks to several noble supporting acts they have managed to conclude a Concordat.
    :confused: thank to?

AlabamaBoy

American English
    I see your point. It was, after all, 1929. Do you mean "acts" as official proceedings or simply as deeds (or gestures of good will) performed by persons (in this case prominent fascists)?

niklavjus

Italiano (Italia)
    Dovrebbe significare 'concessioni'.

"..., through the meeting of many noble consents/favours/agreements, ..." (?)

Yshay1979

Italian
    Hi AlabamaBoy and niklavjus,

thanks to both. I don't think we are talking about official proceedings, but about generic deeds. Some of these acts were probably somewhat official, but not all (arson is for instance mentioned somewhere in the essay, for political reasons).

I have temporarily used the term "favours" as it sounded to me the closest to "assecondamenti". Still, I am not happy with it.

AlabamaBoy

American English
    And, by the grace of God, much patience, through much work, and with the intervention/help of many noble/good deeds, we have been able « tamquam per medium profundam eundo» to reach a Concordat.

elfa

English
    How about

and through noble intervention, we have been able...?

This would encompass the "deeds" aspect that you mention without specifying exactly how people have helped.

Yshay1979

Italian
    Thanks elfa, your version definitely sounds. I'll put it down, together with AlabamaBoy's deeds and my original favours and decide in a couple of days, with a fresh mind. :)

< Previous | Next >