Concentrar (soccer)

vicboano

Argentina - Español
Hi. I'd like to know what's the word used in English to talk about "concentrar". It is what soccer players (other sports as well, I believe) days before a match: they stay together, do not go out, drink, etc. All they do is train and prepare for the upcoming match.

Here's an example from a newspaper, in this case related to rugby (although I'm looking for the word used in soccer):

Los Pumas se concentraron hoy en las instalaciones del Hindú Club y permanecerán allí hasta el próximo domingo, cuando emprenderán el viaje a Dubai para afrontar las dos primeras etapas del Circuito Mundial de Seven.

Thanks in advance!

• vicboano

Argentina - Español
    Thanks basenjigirl, but it is something different. They always train, but they stayed all together in the same place and are not allowed to engage in any outside social activitie, etc. They do not go back to their homes to sleep, cannot be with any women or party, etc.

abogado1

USA
    English-USA
    One expression that is used in the US is to "closet" the team. The players closeted themselves at the Hindu Club before the match.

Basenjigirl

English, USA
    The verb "to cloister" would work. They cloistered themselves and trained intensely before the match. The players were kept in isolation, away from the public, at the Hindu Club where they trained intensely before the match.

Last edited:

Basenjigirl

English, USA
    One expression that is used in the US is to "closet" the team. The players closeted themselves at the Hindu Club before the match.
    Me temo que no. That sounds very, very odd and does not work in this sentence. Vic do not use this term of being in the closet unless you want to unintentionally suggest that the players are homosexuals who are pretending to be heterosexuals. :D

vicboano

Argentina - Español
    HaHa Basenjigirl. Although there might me some players in the closet, this time I was looking for "cloister".
    Thank you all for your help!

< Previous | Next >