concentrations of unknown A, B, C were [singular or plural?]

< Previous | Next >

jiangr

Chinese
Hello
I' m writing a lab report and here comes a sentence I'm going to write but I'm not sure the grammar here
A. The concentrations of unknown A, B, C were 0.186, 0.199 and 0.021 respectively, which were calculated from measured absorbances.
B. The concentration of unknown A, B, C were 0.186, 0.199 and 0.021 respectively, which were calculated from measured absorbances. OR
C. The concentration of unknown A, B, C was 0.186, 0.199 and 0.021 respectively, which was calculated from measured absorbance.

THANKS

• Procol

British English
    Hello

A. is fine.
    B. should read "the concentration of unknown A, B, C was 0.186, 0.199 and 0.021 respectively, which were calculated from measured absorbances"
    C. T
    he concentration of unknown A, B, C was 0.186, 0.199 and 0.021 respectively, which were calculated from measured absorbance.
    If i doubt, use A.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I'm with Procol, your sentence A is good.
    Inside sentence A, don't you want to say "A, B, and C" (as you did with the numbers)?

safienwijon

English - US
    I'm with Procol, your sentence A is good.
    Inside sentence A, don't you want to say "A, B, and C" (as you did with the numbers)?
    I agree with the addition of "and" between "B" and "C" (no pun intended :)).

Side note: I very rarely find literature where the correct punctuation in commas is used for listings. I frequently see 1,2 and 3 as opposed to 1,2, and 3 which is frustrating. Am I wrong? Should it not be 1,2, and 3? If I put "2 and 3" does that not create a grouping of "2" and "3"? I always thought the commas were creating a separation of each item, or in this example, number.

pob14

American English
    Safienwijon, if you search this forum (or the internet in general) for "Oxford comma" or "Harvard comma," you will find many, many opinions about your question.

jiangr

Chinese
    Thank you all guys. I would stay on option A and will add an "and" which was forgotten as I posted this question in a rush ;)

< Previous | Next >