Conclusions and advice

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Why not just "Conclusion and advice"? "Conclusion" would be an overall view.

The question of this thread is whether "Conclusion and advice" would work better.

This second meeting takes place in view of significant increases in numbers of cases and additional countries reporting confirmed cases.

Conclusions and advice
The Committee welcomed the leadership and political commitment of the very highest levels of Chinese government, their commitment to transparency, and the efforts made to investigate and contain the current outbreak. China quickly identified the virus and shared its sequence, so that other countries could diagnose it quickly and protect themselves, which has resulted in the rapid development of diagnostic tools.

source: WHO 30 January 2020
Statement on the second meeting of the International Health Regulations (2005) Emergency Committee regarding the outbreak of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

• Myridon

English - US
    There are several more paragraphs to that section. I haven't read it carefully but I assume that there is more than one conclusion and perhaps more than one piece of advice ("advice" is uncountable).

kentix

English - U.S.
    Anything complex like that, with different aspects, almost always has more than one conclusion.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Thanks.

There are several more paragraphs to that section. I haven't read it carefully but I assume that there is more than one conclusion and perhaps more than one piece of advice ("advice" is uncountable).
    I don't know how to confirm whether "advice" is uncountable or not.

Our dictionary has one example:

Recent diplomatic advices have been ominous.

Anything complex like that, with different aspects, almost always has more than one conclusion.
    By the same token, almost always has more than one advice.

So why not "Conclusions and advices"?

kentix

English - U.S.
    Because advice is not countable.

That use of advice is essentially plural.

< Previous | Next >