1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

concrétiser/concrétisation

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by liulia, Feb 8, 2007.

1. liulia Senior Member

Ireland
    English/French
    Hello!

Today's doubts are around the use in English of "concretise" to translate "concrétiser" - is it as ugly as I think it is?

And how else would you tranlsate a sentence like this:

"Le site internet doit optimiser les possibilités d'encourager la concrétisation du projet."

"The website must optimize opportunities to encourage the concretisation of the project"???

2. i heart queso Senior Member

San Francisco, California
    English, Canada
    Could it be... realisation? Concretisation sounds terrible and it doesn't show up in the Cambridge dictionary.

3. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    materialization ?

4. liulia Senior Member

Ireland
    English/French
    concretize isin the Oxford Dictionary = to render concrete, esp .opp. abstract
    also concretization and concretized

Still, it is soooo ugly!!

5. chouchou4484

chouchou4484 Senior Member

Paris, France
    France - French / US - English
    I think materialize sounds good.

6. liulia Senior Member

Ireland
    English/French
    Thanks everyone!

7. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    Would "realise" work?

8. zez Senior Member

Paris
    France/French
    From my point of view, this is a kind of marketing sentence that do not have inner content.

"optimiser les possibilités d'encourager" is not understandable in french.

So feel very free in your translation... ;-)

A normal french sentence should be : "Le site internet doit permettre d'aider à la réalisation du projet" (what is more easy to translate).

9. BERENICE S Senior Member

French-France
    Hello :

Concrétisation, réalisation = achievement

Beware : to realise in English is not "réaliser" in French (although often used for the same meaning)
    "to realise" = prendre conscience

=> je prends conscience du fait que je réalise/concrétise mon projet =
    I realise I am achieving my project

Bye
    B.

10. pariscope Member

Ireland
    Thanks for that, that's a great help....suppose it's a faux ami, like, 'effectivement' doesn't mean 'effectively' but rather 'in actual fact/precisely'......

11. Recent_Runes Senior Member

Sussex, England
    British English ♂
    We often talk about implementing a project or the implementation of a project, which means taking an idea or plan and making it happen. That does not necessarily mean that the project is a success - it depends on whether it is well implemented or poorly implemented.

12. EXPRESSions Senior Member

Quebec
    US, English
    This comes long after the fact, but I have another suggestion.

I had to translate "concrétisation de projets d'entreprises" for an explanation of funding available to young entrepreneurs. This section dealt with doing pre-feasibility studies, market research, etc.

After clicking through Thesaurus.com for a few minutes, starting with "implementation", I finally came upon substantiation. A Google search confirmed that this term is used in this context, and that a business plan often contains "substantiation documents" which contain the results of such research.

Hope that helps someone in the future.

H.