concrétiser/concrétisation

liulia

English/French
Hello!

Today's doubts are around the use in English of "concretise" to translate "concrétiser" - is it as ugly as I think it is?

And how else would you tranlsate a sentence like this:

"Le site internet doit optimiser les possibilités d'encourager la concrétisation du projet."

"The website must optimize opportunities to encourage the concretisation of the project"???

• liulia

English/French
    concretize isin the Oxford Dictionary = to render concrete, esp .opp. abstract
    also concretization and concretized

Still, it is soooo ugly!!

zez

France/French
    "Le site internet doit optimiser les possibilités d'encourager la concrétisation du projet."
    From my point of view, this is a kind of marketing sentence that do not have inner content.

"optimiser les possibilités d'encourager" is not understandable in french.

So feel very free in your translation... ;-)

A normal french sentence should be : "Le site internet doit permettre d'aider à la réalisation du projet" (what is more easy to translate).

BERENICE S

French-France
    Hello :

Concrétisation, réalisation = achievement

Beware : to realise in English is not "réaliser" in French (although often used for the same meaning)
    "to realise" = prendre conscience

=> je prends conscience du fait que je réalise/concrétise mon projet =
    I realise I am achieving my project

Bye
    B.

pariscope

Ireland
    Thanks for that, that's a great help....suppose it's a faux ami, like, 'effectivement' doesn't mean 'effectively' but rather 'in actual fact/precisely'......

Recent_Runes

British English ♂
    We often talk about implementing a project or the implementation of a project, which means taking an idea or plan and making it happen. That does not necessarily mean that the project is a success - it depends on whether it is well implemented or poorly implemented.

EXPRESSions

US, English
    This comes long after the fact, but I have another suggestion.

I had to translate "concrétisation de projets d'entreprises" for an explanation of funding available to young entrepreneurs. This section dealt with doing pre-feasibility studies, market research, etc.

After clicking through Thesaurus.com for a few minutes, starting with "implementation", I finally came upon substantiation. A Google search confirmed that this term is used in this context, and that a business plan often contains "substantiation documents" which contain the results of such research.

Hope that helps someone in the future.

H.

< Previous | Next >