concrétiser les travaux de recherche

Larissa2000

English USA
Hi,

I was wondering if I can translate concrétiser literally here or if it sounds strange in English.

cette thèse va me permettre de concrétiser les travaux de recherche préliminaires que j'ai déjà entrepris

this PhD project will allow me to concretise preliminary research work that I have already undertaken

Since this is a usage question, I'd prefer to hear back from native speakers.

Thanks,
Larissa

• DrD

England English
    Hi Larissa,

Well, my first reaction was that concretise doesn't exist as a verb. It does (I checked), but I think that's a measure of how weird I think it sounds. Personally, I would normally use realise or make concrete as a translation of concrétiser. However, I don't really think it fits here, as what I think you are actually trying to say is 'build on'. The initial research has been done and the thesis will allow you to use that research, to build on it and turn it into a PhD thesis.

Larissa2000

English USA
    Thanks Drd, yes, that was the problem! I can't think of how to say that, to take the research that was begun and bring it to completion or into a full project without explaining it like this.

I think "build on" perhaps could be complemented with something else.

this PhD project will allow me to build on and advance preliminary research work that I have already undertaken - is that redundant?

how about "this PhD project will allow me to significantly advance preliminary research work that I have already undertaken" - doesn't that sound academic?

See, I can't think of a word that means that a whole project would be completed. Even if the research could always continue afterwards.
    ==================
    Just saw the other suggestion -

I think consolidate works very well for one word.

I'm thinking:

"this PhD project will allow me to advance and consolidate preliminary research work that I have already undertaken"

============
    I decided to go with just "consolidate" - very good!

Thank you so much!