Concrete/cement the power

Pawa

Hungarian
Hi, I am looking for an English expression describing the situation when a political group fixes his power in an anti-democratic manner. I think of using the words concrete or cement, like:
1 "They have concreted/cemented their power."
2 "They have encased their power in concrete/cement."
How do you think? Are those idiomatic in English? Do you know alternatives for the situation?

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Pawa. You are using lively figurative language to say something like "They have consolidated their power". I think I'd use the second version, "They have encased their power in concrete", if I wanted to express the idea this way. "They have cemented their power" sounds marginally acceptable to me, but I definitely wouldn't use "They have concreted their power".

Embonpoint

English--American
    I like owlman's suggestion of consolidated their power.

To me your second version is very foreign sounding. I actually think your first version of "cemented their power" is fine.

But none of these convey unequivocally that the power was taken undemocratically. For that we would tend to say "they seized power."

To add additonal detail, to me, cemented their power is less about seizing it undemocratically than about increasing existing power. It implies that the subject of the sentence already had some power and with additional actions they solidified it. For example:

The invading force started by conquering the capital city. The invaders then cemented their power by seizing the country's two other major cities.

< Previous | Next >