Conditional? If I (have) ... enough money, I (backpack) ... around Europe.

victory2381

Vietnam
Hello everyone,

Please look at the examples below:
1. If I (have) ... enough money, I (backpack) ... around Europe. But, unfortunately, I am broke.
2. If I (have) ... enough money in my twenties, I (backpack) ... around Europe. But, unfortunately, I was broke.

Could anyone give me the correct answer and the explanation?

Thanks,
Victory

• sdgraham

USA English
    Welcome to the forum, Victory

1. If I had enough money, I would backpack around Europe. But, unfortunately, I am broke.

2. If I had had enough money in my twenties, I would have backpacked around Europe. But, unfortunately, I was broke.

Wikipedia has a reasonable explanation of the past subjunctive HERE.

(I take no position at present as to whether "to backpack" is a legitimate verb)

KHS

In your subject line you mention past *real* conditional, but both your examples are unreal conditions.

Usually real conditions are present or future:

If I don't study tonight, I won't/might not pass the test tomorrow.

I guess a past real condition might be something like this:

Mary says George was at the party last night, and asks if he behaved himself. I was at the party, but didn't see George, so I say:

If he was at the party, I certainly didn't see him. However, given the crowded conditions, it is quite possible that he was there.

Maybe other people can offer an opinion on whether or not the above example actually represents past real conditional...

KHS

If I were rich, I would take a trip around the world, but I'm not, so I won't. = now
    If I had been rich when I was younger, I would have taken many trips, but I wasn't, so I didn't. = then

< Previous | Next >