Conditional? If you .......... a party last weekend, you ...... me.

< Previous | Next >

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
If you .......... a party last weekend, you ...... me.

A)had had\would rather have invited
B)had\should have invited

I am not sure about the correct answer. Both seems awkward to me. However, there must be a correct one. Can you, please, explain?

• Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
    Can you please tell us what you think the answers might be, Qomi.
    As I stated in my first message, I am not sure about the answer. Both seems incorrect to me. But there is no third choice in the question. I just want to know what you, natives, think about it?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Well Loob, suppose you had a party last week, you should have invited me you know; I would have enjoyed it very much and I'm most disappointed you didn't.

What's the matter with?:

If you had a party last week, you should have invited me.

meaning, of course, you ought to have invited me, not you would have invited me.

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
    Well Loob, suppose you had a party last week, you should have invited me you know; I would have enjoyed it very much and I'm most disappointed you didn't.

What's the matter with?:

If you had a party last week, you should have invited me.

meaning, of course, you ought to have invited me, not you would have invited me.
    In fact I couldn't make out what you want to mean :confused:

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Qomi, Thomas is being slightly facetious in his response to Loob's post. There is nothing wrong with:

"If you had a party last weekend, you should have invited me"

A) is incorrect. B) is not.

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
    Qomi, Thomas is being slightly facetious in his response to Loob's post. There is nothing wrong with:

"If you had a party last weekend, you should have invited me"

A) is incorrect. B) is not.
    Thanks Dimcl. The point I have difficulty in understanding is that, it is a mixed type conditional sentence, and as you know, type 2 suggests "unreal present". However, the party took place "last weekend", and I think it has nothing to do with "an imaginary present"

kalamazoo

US, English
    I never understand the terminology for conditionals! But what this means is that from a social or friendship point of view, it would have been proper or appropriate for the host to have invited the speaker, if the host indeed had a party. So here is no 'unreal present' in the sentence that I can see. The party is over, the host didn't invite his friend. But the friend (the speaker) feels that he should have been invited. So the "should" conveys a sense of unfulfilled obligation. If you wanted to pass the test, you should have read the book.

Loob

English UK
    I'm sorry for misleading you , Qomi: TT and Dimcl and kalamazoo are right and I was wrong.

This sort of conditional always looks strange to me when written down, but I would not find it at all strange in conversation.

< Previous | Next >