Conditional (mixed): If I had time, I would have cleaned the house.

< Previous | Next >

kittigger

Japanese
If I had time, i would have cleaned the house - I wonder why the mixed conditional type is used here and I cannot figure out the intended meaning or the reason for using it.

• mplsray

If I had time, i would have cleaned the house - I wonder why the mixed conditional type is used here and I cannot figure out the intended meaning or the reason for using it.

What is called for here is the "contrary-to-fact past conditional," discussed in the Google article here, which would take the form:

"If I had had time, I would have cleaned the house."

In speech, this would be much more likely to take the form,

"If I'd had time, I would have cleaned the house."

The contrary-to-fact past conditional would be used in a case such as this to explain why the speaker did not, in fact, clean the house: He did not have the time to do so.

"If I had had time [but he had not had the time, so this refers to a counterfactual past situation], I would have cleaned the house [but he did not do so]."

Last edited:

kittigger

Japanese
    But I am not asking about the conditional "unreal in the past" type. This is the mixed type (advanced grammar - I guess) - If I HAD time, I would have cleaned the house

mplsray

But I am not asking about the conditional "unreal in the past" type. This is the mixed type (advanced grammar - I guess) - If I HAD time, I would have cleaned the house
    Your example sentence is ungrammatical. There may be some dialect in which it would be grammatical, but even if that were the case, I cannot imagine the "If I had time" clause representing anything other than a version of the unreal past conditional.

< Previous | Next >