Conditional (mixed): the ceiling of this room ----ıf it ---- heavily outside

Symrna

somewhere on Earth
Because this house was badly built,the ceiling of this room ----ıf it ---- heavily outside.

A)would leak/rains
B)will leak/had been raining
C)has leaked/would rain
D)is leaking/will rain
E)leaks/were raining

I stuck between "A" and "E"! What do you think, and what kind of mixed type conditional is the sentence?

Thanks in advance:)

• TLGeorge

English, UK
    From that selection I would say A, but it's not how I would say it.

Because this house was badly built,the ceiling of this room would leak ıf it were to rain heavily outside.

Giordano Bruno

English, England
    None of the above. I prefer leaks/rains.
    Alternatives are: would leak/rained, will leak/rains, would leak/were raining, would leak/were to rain, would have leaked/had rained.
    Sorry that I can't help you with the type of mixed conditional.

Serafijn

English - UK
    It depends on the tense. If it's the house you grew up in but don't live in any more, then 'would leak/rained'. If it's your current house and you know that it does leak when it rains, then 'leaks/rains' works best.

There are a few other possibilities for different meanings, so it depends what exactly you're trying to convey.

Kongming

Cantonese/English - US
    Because this house was badly built,the ceiling of this room ----ıf it ---- heavily outside.

A)would leak/rains
    B)will leak/had been raining
    C)has leaked/would rain
    D)is leaking/will rain
    E)leaks/were raining

I stuck between "A" and "E"! What do you think, and what kind of mixed type conditional is the sentence?

Thanks in advance:)
    Of the choices given, I would go with A. E sounds very awkward to me. If the answer is indeed A then it would be:

Because this house was badly built, the ceiling of this room would leak ıf it rains heavily outside.

The words highlighted in red indicates future unreal conditional, while the words highlighted in blue indicates present unreal conditional.

I'll PM you a URL for reference because I can't post a URL, being that I have made less than 30 posts.

quitejaded

English, USA (texas)
    I think A is the answer. Someone MIGHT say B. It may not be acceptable in formal writing (answer B) but in regular speech, no body cares. A is probably the answer, but B's error is not that big.

Giordano Bruno

English, England
    I think A is the answer. Someone MIGHT say B. It may not be acceptable in formal writing (answer B) but in regular speech, no body cares. A is probably the answer, but B's error is not that big.
    A. it ain't.
    B's error is huge.
    I hope somebody cares.

cheshire

Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
    Can anybody define clearly this particular type of "mixed conditional" and publicize it here in WRF? To start with, how about the below sentences? Do you see them as bad English?
    All your restructuring efforts could/may/might be wasted if the company loses this case.

All your restructuring efforts could have/might have been wasted if the company had lost this case.

All your restructuring efforts will be wasted if the company loses this case.

All your restructuring efforts would be wasted if the company lost this case.
    http://test.lydbury.co.uk/grammar/forum_posts.asp?TID=1573&PID=8032#8032

< Previous | Next >