conduire

< Previous | Next >

gpb

English
I'm a little confused about how the following sentence is suppose to be translated, particularly because of the use of "conduire":

"L'avenir de la Côte d'Ivoire était suspendu dimanche à une nouvelle mission que doivent conduire lundi à Abidjan trois chefs d'Etat ouest-africains, accompagnés du Premier ministre kényan, pour tenter de résoudre une crise qui a déjà fait près de 200 morts selon l'ONU."

Can anyone help me with this one? Does "doivent conduire" have the sense of "to be run/guided Monday in Abidjan by three African heads of state"?

Also, what's with the inversion in that sentence? Is it just a typical style for news articles to be written?

Thanks!

• Guill

Français - France
    I would also have said "a mission run by..." before having seen your attempt, I think it fits well here.
    Concerning the inversion, yes, it's typical for news. One can say either one or the other, without the inversion, in everyday language.

Sychal

French
    To be run/guided/led sound good. I think the inversion has something to do with the passive form.

< Previous | Next >