conferire la laurea

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by viria, Feb 13, 2008.

  1. viria Senior Member

    surroundings of Rome
    Italy - Italian
    Hullo friends!
    I am checking the translation of some university didactic rulesfrom Italian into English, and I have found the expression "appointing a degree". In my previous experience, being the subject a University, I had met several times the expression "delivering a degree", instead. Which one is correct?
  2. kenman Member

    USA - English
    Buon giorno. Ho molti anni quindi la mia risposta sarebbe "out-dated' but we used to say that a university "granted" a degree.
  3. baldpate

    baldpate Senior Member

    UK, English
    I second kenman, and I'd add that, to my knowledge, a university would "confer a degree on someone", or "award/grant a degree to someone". All of those could be generalised into a phrase like "the conferring/granting/awarding of degrees".

    I would expect to see "delivering a degree" to be used as part of a phrase like "delivering a degree program" or "delivering a degree course", but I can imagine it might be used instead of "awarding ..." etc.

    "appointing a degree" I have never heard of.

    I am a little confused by your initial post, because you speak of translating from Italian, yet you say that you have found the English expression "appointing a degree". Could you clarify?
  4. viria Senior Member

    surroundings of Rome
    Italy - Italian
    Thank you! Yes, actually now that you mention it, I remember I have met "granting degrees", which sounds by far better than the others. Now I will see if I can use "to grant" in all the context where somebody had suggested "to appoint", which I really dislike!

    Dear Baldpate, sorry for the confusion.
    Actually I am checking a translation done by somebody else from Italian into English. That explains why I have found "appointing a degree".
    Thank you for the different possibilities you mention: I would have never thought of "award" since I feel this word mainly associated to the idea of a prize....while a degree is (or should be) hard work!
  5. kenman Member

    USA - English
    I second Baldpate - I have often heard of a university "awarding" a degree as well as "conferring" one. Good grief, English is strano. We had to confer over the issue of whether or not to confer the degree to Maximilian.
  6. tobin87 New Member

    A person would earn a degree or obtain a degree. Then the university would most likely present or award the person with the degree for the work that they have done. If your talking about it in context we would say like we earned our degree in something. Of course in america we use a lot of slang for these types of things. Sometimes we say I majored in ( ) or I went to school for.. or I got a degree in. After saying all of this I would stick with saying that the university either awarded or presented the degree to you for the work one has done.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009

Share This Page