confessed to killing a old man

• Copyright

American English
    but if we take another example that " he confessed that he eats non-veg , how will we write it in combined sentence. "
    I'm afraid I don't understand your question ("combined sentence"), so perhaps you can write the sentence you imagine and we can discuss it.

Copyright

American English
    please correct me if i am going wrong , i just want to know how can we use "confess" in present or past
    In all the examples we have so far, I would use "confessed" because it is something that has already been done. (And that's the usual way you will see it.)

The use of "confess" will lead you to other constructions: I know you ate the cookies -- I just want you to confess. Confess that you ate the cookies or I'll never bake again.

kanu

but if we write " he confesses to eating non-veg " , it means to me what
    In all the examples we have so far, I would use "confessed" because it is something that has already been done. (And that's the usual way you will see it.)

The use of "confess" will lead you to other constructions: I know you ate the cookies -- I just want you to confess. Confess that you ate the cookies or I'll never bake again.

Copyright

American English
    but if we write " he confesses to eating non-veg " , it means to me what
    I don't know: what does it mean to you? :) To me, it means that he admits to eating meat.

(I must admit to focusing on "confess" in my examples, and not on "confesses." You would use this form when you're narrating events taking place as you speak.)

kanu

you want to say it all depends on context :)

I don't know: what does it mean to you? :) To me, it means that he admits to eating meat.

(I must admit to focusing on "confess" in my examples, and not on "confesses." You would use this form when you're narrating events taking place as you speak.)

Copyright

American English
    you want to say it all depends on context :)
    As much as I love context, I think your sentences are understandable without it. (Did I just say that? :eek:)

I just mean that there are certain formats (context, if you will) where the present tense would work well, such as narrative: Bruno commits crime. Police capture Bruno. Bruno confesses and implicates his aging mother as the mastermind.

< Previous | Next >