Confidence or Faith?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by chadz, Sep 5, 2009.

1. chadz New Member

Chinese
    I was writing a letter to a new customer, suggesting her to visit our website and learn more about us, so that she could "believe us more", and that's where I got stuck in as I don't know if to choose "increase your confidence" or "strengthen your faith".

I'll list the two sentences below, please help me to decide which one is better.

1. you can visit our website for more information about us, hope that could increase your confidence on our qualification and credit.

2. you can visit our website for more information about us, hope that could strengthen your faith on our qualification and credit.

Regrading CONFIDENCE, I always have a sense that it's more about oneself. Is that correct?
    Like I always hear people say, I'm/we/re confident with sth, but rarely hear them say, i'm confident in you

as for FAITH, there's a lot of expression like "I have faith in you".

However, I have a feeling that FAITH is too serious in my situation, cause we barely know each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong, thanks! And if you have better suggetion, please let me know!

2. Evren_ytu Member

Istanbul, Turkey
    Turkey - Turkish
    First, welcome to the forum.let's have a look at your question. "Faith" always sounds religious to me. I prefer using "confidence" in that sentence; but "reliability" can fit the sentence as well.

3. chadz New Member

Chinese
    thanks Evren ytu!

yap, you're right, confidence might be better.

I have found this in the google dictionary

noun
    • <LI class=dct-em>the feeling that you can trust, believe in and be sure about the abilities or good qualities of sb/sth 信心;信任;信赖 uncountable ~ (in sb/sth)
    • a belief in your own ability to do things and be successful 自信心;把握 uncountable
    It seems that CONFIDENCE is not just about self trust...em...

4. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    First, the phrase should be 'confidence in' (not 'confidence on'). I agree with other posters that 'confidence' is better than 'faith' in a business-type context - except for the well-known phrase 'in good faith'. Secondly, I have taken the liberty of making a couple of corrections to sentence (1) above. :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    A couple of things, if I may. First, you can't really increase the confidence of a new customer, because that person doesn't know you, and therefore has no confidence in you to begin with -- your letter is simply an introduction. Second, "qualification and credit" doesn't really sound right to native English speakers.

From a marketing standpoint, I would suggest that you drop the second part of the sentence. Since you're sending a letter, I'm sure you're touching on things that will appeal to that new customer: We've been in business for 20 years. We have experienced, professional people. We're known for quality and service. Top companies trust us. We can help you in such-and-such a way.

Then you say, "You'll find more information about our company on our website. We invite you to visit and we'll be happy to answer any questions you may have."

To the moderators: I don't often contribute here, so I hope I haven't breached the forum rules here by going beyond the scope of the original question. If I have, just let me know and I'll stick the straight and narrow in the future. :)