confirmed that a puma 'will' [tense?]

铭铭s

chinese
The hunt for the puma began in a small village where a woman picking blackberries saw 'a large cat' only five yards away from her. It immediately ran away when she saw it, and experts confirmed that a puma will not attack a human being unless it is cornered. from my english learning book
I think the tense of “ confirmed ” and “will” should be same,so the “will” is expected writen as "would",dose I am right? or there are more stories than I know.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think you were taught the general rule that if a verb like confirmed or said or thought is in the past, the verb in the 'that' clause should also be set back in tense.
    What the experts confirmed/said: "A puma will not attack a human being unless it is cornered."​
    [space]
    This follows the rule you learned, and it is grammatically correct.
    Experts confirmed that a puma would not attack a human being unless it was cornered
    [space]
    However, there is another rule that we apply when the statement is about something that is still true. In that case, we can keep the tense of the original statement. It is still true that a puma will not attack a human being, so it is also grammatically correct to say:
    Experts confirmed that a puma will not attack a human being unless it is cornered.
    [space]
    Both ways of doing it are grammatically correct. You can chose which you prefer.

There are more threads discussing this. If I find one, I will post it here. :)

Added: I found a few:
    Reported speech, ongoing truth. He claimed the Earth was flat.
    tense in reported speech.
    reported speech and general truth

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >