confirming or crushing it

superfeeling

Chinese
Hi, everybody!

What is implied by the words in red?

To Mr. Darcy it was welcome intelligence—Elizabeth had been at Netherfield long enough. She attracted him more than he liked—and Miss Bingley was uncivil to her, and more teasing than usual to himself. He wisely resolved to be particularly careful that no sign of admiration should now escape him, nothing that could elevate her with the hope of influencing his felicity; sensible that if such an idea had been suggested, his behaviour during the last day must have material weight in confirming or crushing it.

My understanding is: Dacy has been gradually attacted to Elizabeth, but he is not certain whether or not he should let this attraction take its course. He is in a dilemma. And at present, he neither wants to confirm it nor to crush it, as it is against his reason to confirm it and against his feelings to crush it.

Am I right in thinking so?

Last edited:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think that he only saying that his behavior on the last day will give one impression or the other. Since he doesn't want to encourage her, he is going to be careful not to give a sign of admiration, etc. That is, he doesn't want to confirm the idea that she could make him happy; he wants to crush it -- assuming that those are the only two options available.

Does it say somewhere that he thinks he might want to marry her?

< Previous | Next >