Spanish to English conforme más

Dictionary entry: conforme más
< Previous | Next >

Malbecblend

English (United States)
In an article about racism in Mexico, there is this sentence:

La BBC lo explica claramente: “conforme más clara es la tonalidad de las personas, mayor es la escolaridad, riqueza, ingresos y oportunidades laborales.”

In context, the meaning seems clear:
The BBC explains it clearly: “the lighter a person’s skin tone, the higher the education, income, and job prospects.

However, the dictionary definition found in WordReference doesn’t provide a definition of “conforme” that corresponds to the translation I made. It translates conforme as, among other things, “as,” “just as.”

(1) In thinking about the above sentence (La BBC....), I wonder how one says things like The greener it is, the more nutrients it has, The darker it gets, the more difficult it is to see, or The thinner you are, the more healthy you feel.
(2) I also wonder how else to say “conforme más clara es la tonalidad de las personas...” Cuánto más clara es la tonalidad...?

• Malbecblend

English (United States)
    Not a lot of feedback on my post. I posted two questions and got no response to the first of them, and a partial response to the second.

Malbecblend

English (United States)
    Cuanto más verde es, más nutrientes tiene.
    Cuanto más oscurece, más difícil es ver.
    Thanks. Is there a way to say that using conforme? Conforme más verde es, mayor nutrientes tiene? (Following the pattern of the sentence “Conforme más clara es la tonalidad de las personas, mayor es la escolaridad...”)

Agró

Spanish-Navarre
    That would be the way to do it, just as you did.
    I never do it with 'conforme más' but with 'cuanto más/menos'. I take 'conforme' to be incorrect.

Malbecblend

English (United States)
    That would be the way to do it, just as you did.
    I never do it with 'conforme más' but with 'cuanto más/menos'. I take 'conforme' to be incorrect.
    Is the sentence I asked about initially, Conforme más clara es la tonalidad...., incorrect? Was my translation of it incorrect?

fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    Not a lot of feedback on my post. I posted two questions and got no response to the first of them, and a partial response to the second.
    That's because you're posting in the wrong forum. Your initial question seemed like a suggestion for the dictionary editors, to try to modify the entry for "conforme". This is the right forum for that.

But your second question was about your source text and translating "conforme". That's a question for the Spanish-English Vocabulary forum. Agró was nice enough to help you out here, despite this being the wrong forum, so thank you Agró. Malbecblend, in the future please try your best to separate your questions -- ask about specific texts in the translation forum, and reserve this forum for specific changes you want to propose to the entries in the wordreference.com dictionary.

Thank you.

< Previous | Next >