congraturations [congratulations] on birthday

EdgeOut

Korean & English
Someone told me I'm not supposed to use the word "congraturation" for birthday.

According to his mention,
Only if someone have lots of efforts, I can use "congraturation" for celebration.

Is that true? I'd like to be confirmed if it's ok.

• "Congratulations" is normally reserved for occasions when the person being honored has achieved something that required effort. "Congratulations on your birthday" sounds rather as if you are surprised that the person lived so long! We wish people Happy Birthday, but we do not congratulate them for having a birthday.

To illustrate the point: We congratulate a groom on having won the affection of the bride. We do not congratulate the bride because to do so would suggest that it required a lot of effort on her part to land a husband.

EdgeOut

Korean & English
    Hi' little edgy!

It's very nice to meet you.

You were great than I expected.
    And it's clear.
    Achievement and your homor of sense!
    I appreciate everything you've done for me today.

"Congratulations" is normally reserved for occasions when the person being honored has achieved something that required effort. "Congratulations on your birthday" sounds rather as if you are surprised that the person lived so long! We wish people Happy Birthday, but we do not congratulate them for having a birthday.

To illustrate the point: We congratulate a groom on having won the affection of the bride. We do not congratulate the bride because to do so would suggest that it required a lot of effort on her part to land a husband.

Last edited:

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    For birthdays, we generally just say "happy birthday", because we are wishing the person to be happy. As edgy said, congratulations are used to acknowledge an achievement, so if someone said "I'm ninety years old today" you might say "congratulations", because you're actually acknowledging the achievement of living a long time, but you'd be more likely to just say "happy birthday" even to the 90-yr-old.
    If someone tells you it's their wedding anniversary, you could say "congratulations" or "happy anniversary".

< Previous | Next >