congress vs meeting

bluedancer

italian
Lavoro per una società che organizza congressi medici e nello scrivere ai relatori stranieri ho sempre il dubbio se sia meglio utlizzare congress o meeting. Qualcuno potrebbe chiarirmi la differenza tra i due vocaboli?
grazie

• Alxmrphi

UK English
    Nessuno dice 'congress' come questo, 10000% meeting.
    Congress mi dà l'idea del corpo politico che qualche paese ha come una parte del loro governo.

Forse c'è altri modi da dire questa cosa, tipo 'convention' o qualcos'altro del genere, ma tra le due parole già menzionate, 'meeting' è l'una che dovrebbe essere utilizzata.

ConusMagus

Italian
    Ciao BD,
    quanto detto da Alex è il significato anglosassone dei termini. Per chiarire le idee riporto dal Concise Oxford English dictionary:

Congress
    1) a formal meeting or series of meetings between delegates.
    2) (Congress) a national legislative body, especially that of the US.

Il secondo significato di "Congress" è quello indicato da Alex, ma come vedi non è adatto. Il primo significato invece, secondo la mia esperienza, è più formale e dedicato a delegati di varie categorie, di un meeting che invece dovrebbe avere carattere più informale ed aperto a più elementi della stessa categoria.

C'è da dire che noi italiani usiamo le parole italiane congresso, simposio e convegno come sinonimi (o quasi) mentre dedichiamo "meeting" ad un contesto minore ed aziendale.

Bye.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Non credo che nessuno potrebbe capire 'a formal meeting' dalla parola 'congress' se si andrebbe per strada e chiedere la gente quotidiana, veramente non l'ho mai sentita questa parola usata in questo modo.

Capisco che potrei parlare per l'inglese che sento e leggo in Inghilterra, ma leggo moltissimi articoli americani e guardo molti programmi americani, credo che sia molto archaic.

Zenof

Italiano
    Non credo che, se si andasse per strada a chiedere alla gente comune, qualcuno potrebbe capire che 'a formal meeting' sia 'congress', veramente non l'ho mai sentita questa parola usata in questo modo. Hope you don't mind Alex :)
    In genere congresso, in special modo se si tratta di professionisti o studiosi di una stessa materia, si traduce con conference e/o convention.

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Le parole sono simile, ma "Congress" si usa in modo formale, scritto, come un titolo, invece di "meeting" si usa quando parlano del "Congress".
    Ma si vede anche "meeting" in modo formale.

"Congress" ha una sfumatura di qualcosa "grandissimo".

Esempio:
    John, The World Congress of Cardiology is in Geneva this year.
    Will you be going to the meeting?

Altro esempio QUA.

Atl-lil-Italy

Italian - Italy
    From the latin "Congressus" which comes from "Congredi" with the meaning of to speak or discuss with somebody about important pubblic affairs.

In my opinion, since you say that you are a translator in the medical field, you should use "Congress" if speaking about meetings at a national or international level. If a few doctors from the same city meet, then I would say a meeting and not a Congress.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    In my opinion, since you say that you are a translator in the medical field, you should use "Congress" if speaking about meetings at a national or international level. If a few doctors from the same city meet, then I would say a meeting and not a Congress.
    I don't, I think with 'Congress', because it's quite unusual it might be lost on a few/lot of people, you just can't go wrong with 'Meeting / Convention' as everyone knows what these mean.

Working in a medical field doesn't mean one is more likely to use 'Congress'.

Atl-lil-Italy

Italian - Italy
    I understand your point of view Alex, but if he is translating for doctors he is addressing a public with a certain level of culture, which I am sure will understand the word Congress. If he is translating for the general public he can use meeting, but I don't think he is because he works for a company that organize Medical Congress.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Ok I see your point as well, but even in the 'highest culture' and for global conventions bigger than what we're talking about are still called meetings, that was my point, if in doubt, why go for a word that can be argued over that isn't very common when you can go for a word that all people know, and certainly doesn't sound 'less formal' or 'less cultural' than the first option. That was my point, he said "Ho dubbi" so, I'm just suggesting.

Atl-lil-Italy

Italian - Italy
    Probably the best thing he can do is this: since the company he is working for is specialized in organizing these meetings/congresses, more than likely he hears and reads the words that are usually used in that context...for example: if in Italian the word is Congresso, then he would translate as Congress, if the word is Incontro, Raduno then he can use Meeting. What do you think?.

maxper

Italian
    A titolo di esempio, il congresso nazionale dell'associazione americana di urologia si chiama Meeting (cioè gli americani lo chiamano meeting)
    quello dell'associazione europea sempre di Urologia si chiama storicamente Congress.
    Personalmente ritengo che sia meglio meeting, particolarmente se non si tratta di congressi di associazioni nazionali o internazionali... ma è solo un'opinione, peraltro suffragata da molti madrelingua che hanno scritto prima di me..

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'm with Maxper on this.
    Use Google like this:

urology national meeting
    urology international meeting
    cardiology national meeting
    cardiology international meeting
    etc...

And use the titles that you see with your searches.

Last edited:

Atl-lil-Italy

Italian - Italy
    I found these definitions that confirm what has been said: a Congress is a bigger event (usually it lasts for days, it gathers hundreds of people and it is of international level) whereas a meeting and a conference are of smaller proportions, therefore it needs to be translated according to the proportions the event in question.

Here are the definitions I found:

Congress: Regular coming together on a representational basis of several hundreds - or even thousands - of individuals belonging to a single professional, cultural, religious or other group. A congress is often convened to discuss a particular subject. Contributions to the presentation and discussion of the subject matter come only from members of the organising body. Frequency: usually established in advance and can be either multiannual or annual. Most international or world congresses are of the former type while national congresses are more frequently held annually. A congress will often last several days and have several simultaneous sessions.

Conference: Participatory meeting designed for discussion, fact-finding, problem solving and consultation. As compared with a congress, a conference is normally smaller in scale and more select in character - features which tend to facilitate the exchange of information. The term "conference" carries no special connotation as to frequency. Though not inherently limited in time, conferences are usually of limited duration with specific objectives.

Here's the link where I found these definitions:

ooopppsss it doesn't let me post the link because I'm a new member....sorry :(

bluedancer

italian
    thanks everybody!
    I aa using congress for national or international events and conference or meeting for the other one...
    Just a little point...I am a woman not a man!! She and not he!!
    thnak you very much for you help

< Previous | Next >