The verb Tener

Why is I have "yo tengo"?
Where does the "g" come from?

I would have though it would be "Yo teno"

Thanks

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    It is an irregular verb. Other irregular verbs that get a "g" are the following:

hacer - yo hago
    decir - yo digo [irregular in two ways, e also changes to i]
    poner - yo pongo
    salir - yo salgo

None of the other forms of these verbs in the present indicative tense have a "g." However, the "g" appears in all the forms of the present subjuntive:

tener: tenga, tengas, tenga, tengamos tengáis, tengan
    decir: diga, digas, diga, digamos, digáis, digan
    poner: ponga, pongas, ponga, pongamos, pongáis, pongan
    salir: salga, salgas, salga, salgamos, salgáis, salgan

Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    Fubar said:
    The verb Tener

Why is I have "yo tengo"?
    Where does the "g" come from?

I would have thought it would be "Yo teno"

Thanks
    While we are at it, let me ask a similar question about English:

Where does the ''am'' come from in ''I am''? The verb is ''to be'' so shouldn't it be: ''I be'''? :)

In this case for am the answer is given (more or less) in Mirriam-Webster Online:

Main Entry: am
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English eom; akin to Old Norse em am, Latin sum, Greek eimi
    present first singular of BE

I was unsuccessful in finding a similar source for ''tengo''. Perhaps someone has a better Spanish dictionary than I do.

I suppose there is some etymological reason for all irregular verb forms.

Antartic

Chile
    Supongo que No hay una razon especifica, simplemente son adecuaciones que van surgiendo a traves de los siglos y que derivan en las formas que tenemos actualmente, it just happens, no creo que alguien intencionalmente vaya cambiando esta conjugacion o la otra. Recien veia que slowly antes era slowlike, luego slowli y finalmente slowly, simplemente fue evolucionando.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Why is it that the verb "oler" (to smell) in infinitive is written without "h" and when we conjugate it, some of the conjugations are written with "h"????

Oler

Yo huelo
    hueles
    Él huele
    Nosotros olemos
    Vosotros oléis
    Ellos huelen

Art :eek: :p :confused:

Philippa

Britain - English
    Artrella said:
    Why is it that the verb "oler" (to smell) in infinitive is written without "h" and when we conjugate it, some of the conjugations are written with "h"????
    Art :eek: :p :confused:
    Hello!
    Presumably there was once an h, but now it's been dropped from the spelling. It's not pronounced anyway , is it?
    ???
    Philippa :)

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Philippa said:
    Hello!
    Presumably there was once an h, but now it's been dropped from the spelling. It's not pronounced anyway , is it?
    ???

Not pronounced Phil!! So why is it there???What for??? :confused: :p ;)

Philippa

Britain - English
    All the h letters in Spanish aren't pronounced, are they? So why are they all there?!Why does English have silent letters?!
    Isn't it all just that pronounciation moves on quickly as language evolves, but the written language moves more slowly, people are reluctant to change that?

Must go, better not be late for Spanish!! :D

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Philippa said:
    All the h letters in Spanish aren't pronounced, are they? So why are they all there?!Why does English have silent letters?!
    Isn't it all just that pronounciation moves on quickly as language evolves, but the written language moves more slowly, people are reluctant to change that?

Well, not all the "h's" are silent. For instance in the word "che" the sound is as in the word "chalk". So there is sound in that "h". If there weren't sound you would pronounce it as "ce" like in "second".

Bye Phil, enjoy your class!!

;) :p :)

Samaruc

Valencià/Català, Castellano
    Con respecto a la "H" de las palabras que empiezan con "HUE" en castellano, creo (aunque no estoy seguro) que era para distinguir claramente que la "U" no debía sonar como "V" ya que, hasta hace relativamente poco, al escribir, la "U" era simplemente la minúscula de la "V" (en latín eran una misma letra, con el uso acabaron siendo dos, lo mismo que la "I" y la "J").

Así, por ejemplo, escribiendo "HUELO" en lugar de "UELO" quedaba claro que no debía pronunciarse "VELO".

De todos modos no estoy muy seguro de que esta explicación sea correcta.

Antartic

Chile
    Philippa said:

In fact is pronounced in this pattern: HUE. If you put a strong stress on it, it could sound like Güe. So, we could say that huelo, hueles, etc. are pronounced with a slight resemblance of the sound of the G.

UomoSconociuto

USA English
    those darn h's...I've noticed alot of things about them........like.....fumar is the verb, but humo is the word for fume. Reading Don Quixote (spelling?) I noticed fermasura instead of hermasura. So at one time Spaniards liked f's more than h's I guess. In other latin languages I have noticed that they've kept the f (italian fare - hacer, ferire - herir) Aren't fierro and hierro both used in Spanish as well? This is kind of a non sequitur, but thought it would be interesting to mention

< Previous | Next >