connected to OR connected by

audiolaik

Polish
Hello,

I've bumped into the definition of parascending:

"A sport in which you wear a parachute and you are connected by a long rope to a car or boat which pulls you up into the air as it moves forward on the ground or on water."

(Source)

Would it be gramatically correct to replace by with with?

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • solamentehayunajefa

English-England, Spanish-Mexican
    I would keep 'by' in there because if you were to say 'connected with a long rope' it firstly doesn't sound right and also in this case you are talking about a rope that is already attached to something (the boat/car).

If the word 'with' was substituted then it would not have its place in the sentence (i.e. it doesnt sound right) and also doens't signify that the rope is attached to the boat/car

I might have gotten a little confused myself in explaining this but hope its right :S

audiolaik

Polish
    I would keep 'by' in there because if you were to say 'connected with a long rope' it firstly doesn't sound right and also in this case you are talking about a rope that is already attached to something (the boat/car).

If the word 'with' was substituted then it would not have its place in the sentence (i.e. it doesnt sound right) and also doens't signify that the rope is attached to the boat/car

I might have gotten a little confused myself in explaining this but hope its right :S
    I do appreciate your prompt reply, solamentehayunajefa!

Thank you!

< Previous | Next >