Connecting an independent clause and a phrase with 'and' ?

blwings

Korean-S.Korea
"At present many of the ablest minds are trying to devise expedients for preventing a repetition of the awful conflict which is only theoretically ended and the duration and main issues of which I correctly predicted in an article printed in the Sun of December 20, 1914."

It seems to me that before bolded 'and' is an independent clause and after is a phrase. Is it possible to use 'and' in connecting two different constituents of sentence?

• lingobingo

English - England
    It’s fine as it is. The second part could have been written as “[and] whose duration and main issues I correctly predicted”.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "At present, -> adverbial modifier
    many of the ablest minds -> noun phrase as subject
    are trying to devise -> verb
    expedients -> noun, object of ‘are trying to devise’
    for preventing a repetition of the awful conflict -> adjectival phrase modifying ‘expedients’
    which is only theoretically ended -> relative clause qualifying ‘conflict’
    and
    the duration and main issues of which -> of whose duration and main issues -> adjectival phrase modifying ‘conflict’
    I correctly predicted in an article printed in the Sun of December 20, 1914. -> adjectival clause modifying ‘the duration and main issues’

"At present,
    1 many of the ablest minds are trying to devise expedients
    ……………………for preventing a repetition of the awful conflict
    ………………………………………………..………………………………………………..which is only theoretically ended and
    the duration and main issues of which(the conflict) I correctly predicted in an article printed in the Sun of December 20, 1914."

The final clause can be read as:
    I correctly predicted the duration and main issues of which(the conflict) in an article printed in the Sun of December 20, 1914."

lingobingo

English - England
    Come to think of it, it could also be written as:

… preventing a repetition of the awful conflict which is only theoretically ended and of which I correctly predicted the duration and main issues in an article printed in the Sun of December 20, 1914.​

< Previous | Next >