connecting and uniting four organisations into one family.

Karen123456

Malaysia English
Our first Chief Priest was instrumental in connecting and uniting four different organisations into one big family. (If 'family' an appropriate word?)

The above is written by my daughter. I think connecting is redundant because of the word uniting. I have rephrased the sentence as shown below. Am I correct? Thanks.

Our first Chief Priest was instrumental in uniting four different organisations into one big family.

• owlman5

English-US
    I agree that using both "connect" and "unite" in that sentence is redundant. Your version of the sentence looks fine to me.

"Family" has a figurative meaning in that sentence that any fluent English-speaker should be able to understand without difficulty. I see nothing wrong with using it as you did.

suzi br

English / England
    I agree it seems redundant to use both connect and unite there.

Whether you can call it a family or not depends on the context. It's your church, I presume. Family is a common enough metaphor for that sort of connection. If family seems odd I would suggest your daughter reads literature produced by your church to see how 'it' refers to 'itself.'

Edit to add: classic case of cross-posting. Almost word for word!

< Previous | Next >