connecting clauses

arjun78

India-Hindi
Hello,

I felt there were two ways to connect these: John was a doctor and would not therefore leave his patients.

Is this okay in past tense, or must it be 'would not therefore have left...'?

Arjun

• owlman5

English-US
    You are saying just as much with your first version. As I generally favor "the rule of the shortest way", I prefer "John was a doctor and would therefore not leave his patients."
    The second one also works, though. When you tell me "would therefore not have left his patients", I almost expect some explanation or restriction to follow. "...would therefore not have left his patients (unless it was absolutely necessary)".

arjun78

India-Hindi
    You are saying just as much with your first version. As I generally favor "the rule of the shortest way", I prefer "John was a doctor and would therefore not leave his patients."
    The second one also works, though. When you tell me "would therefore not have left his patients", I almost expect some explanation or restriction to follow. "...would therefore not have left his patients (unless it was absolutely necessary)".
    I think you're right. The first one is simpler, whereas 'would have' always sounds like there's an implicit condition there.

< Previous | Next >