Connecting flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
Hello

1- Some dictionaries define "connecting flight" as a flight that involves stops in the middle and a change of airplanes, so they use "connecting flight" to refer to the whole trip from start to end including the starting trip and the stops.

2- Other dictionaries say that the term only refers to the second flight and not the whole trip ,specifically not the starting trip.

I'd like to know your opinion, please. How is this term used by native speakers?

Thank you

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    1- Some dictionaries define "connecting flight" as a flight that involves stops in the middle and a change of airplanes, so they use "connecting flight" to refer to the whole trip from start to end including the starting trip and the stops.

2- Other dictionaries say that the term only refers to the second flight and not the whole trip ,specifically not the starting trip.
    Please give full sentences and links to the dictionaries. :thumbsup:

Erebos12345

Canadian English
    Hi

#2 is closer to what I'm used to.

I'm flying from LAX to EWR and I have a connecting flight to LHR from EWR.

The problem with definition #1 is that in aviation terminology, a flight refers to aircraft movement from one point to another, and the flight is assigned a flight number. If you're scheduled to change planes in the middle of your trip, you're most certainly changing from one flight to another flight (ie, two different flight numbers, and two different aircraft.) You're taking at least two different flights. Thus, to refer to the whole trip as a (singular) connecting flight_ doesn't seem right to me.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "Is the flight direct?"
    "No, it's a connecting flight."

"It’s A ‘Direct’ Flight... No, It’s A ‘Connecting’ Flight... No, It’s A ‘Change Of Gauge’" (It's A 'Direct' Flight... No, It's A 'Connecting' Flight... No, It's A 'Change Of Gauge' | HuffPost)

Q: Can you leave the airport when waiting for a connection? [...} my flights back to the UK from NZ in December are stopping over in Hong Kong.
    A: (3) If it's a connecting flight, your luggage should just be checked through, and you should already have a boarding pass (received in New Zealand). So that means that you don't need to "check in" again or anything in Hong Kong...
    Can you leave the airport when waiting for a connection??? - Travellerspoint Travel Forums

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    As Paul says a full sentence would be useful, as would a link to the dictionaries you have consulted, but in any case to me a connecting flight refers only to the second flight, not the whole journey.

For example the last time I went to San Francisco (from Naples in Italy) it was not a direct flight. I had two connecting flights, one from Paris and a second one from Philadelphia.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Unfortunately, English has no single, specific term for a trip from A to B to C with a plane change at B. "Connecting flight" is the best we have, though it is confusing because it is also used to refer to the leg from B to C only. Fortunately, context is usually sufficient to clarify which meaning applies. Sample dialogues:

Me: I'd like to go to Rome next Monday.
    Travel agent: I can book you on British Airways at 7 pm.
    Me: BA? Is that a connecting flight? [first meaning]
    Travel agent: Yes, you'll change at Heathrow.

Me: I see I arrive in Heathrow at 6:30 am. When does my connecting flight to Rome leave? [second meaning]
    Travel agent: At 9:15. It's not a tight connection, but you won't have time to go into London.

You can see that context makes the meaning of "connecting flight" clear in both cases.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >