connecting in my own thoughts

Gabriel Aparta

Español - Venezuela
Hi everyone, please, from David Copperfield:

For this reason, though Mr. Chillip often asked me to go and see him (he was a widower, having, some years before that, lost a little small light-haired wife, whom I can just remember connecting in my own thoughts with a pale tortoise-shell cat), it was but seldom that I enjoyed the happiness of passing an afternoon in his closet of a surgery.

What does that mean? That he remembers the lady holding a cat? Or that she seems one of those cats? He is a kid in this part of the book, his old self writes the book.

Thanks!

• reno33

English - USA
    "...in my own thoughts with a pale tortoise-shell cat." = this is how the writer remembers the "little small light-haired wife."

london calling

UK English
    You do realise when this was written? You don't really expect it to sound like modern-day English, do you? Would you say Manzoni sounds weird? :confused: o_O:D

I take it to mean that somewhere in the back of his mind mind he has a mental image of the woman and that associated with that memory there is a cat.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I would take it to mean:
    "I remember that I thought she looked rather like a pale tortoise-shell cat."

TheMahiMahi

English - United States
    Yeah pretty much what everyone else said. Literally, he is connecting his image of her to the image of a pale tortoise-shell cat. That is to say, he thinks she looks like one.

< Previous | Next >