connecting two complete sentences with a comma

nagomi

Korean
In a campaign speech in August, shortly after the shooting, Mr Trump vowed to block funding to areas deemed uncooperative with federal immigration authorities. “We will end the sanctuary cities that have resulted in so many needless deaths,” he promised.“[They] will not receive taxpayer dollars.”

I believe the two quotations in the brackets must be two independent sentences, but somehow they are connected with a comma.

How is that possible?

Or the quotation is in fact two complete sentence and the comma is used to connect the phrase"he promised"? Even if so, it still isn't clear to me. sentences in the brackets are quotations, which means they should be separated from the sentence that belongs to this text. If the writer saw the sentence (starting with "We") as one sentence and tried to connect the two quotes with "he promised", I think there should have been another comma instead of a period in the sentence "he promised."

source: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2016/11/economist-explains-13

• Barque

Tamil
    I believe the two quotations in the brackets must be two independent sentences, but somehow they are connected with a comma.
    They are not connected with a comma. They are in separate sentences. And it seems to me you are confusing inverted commas which are "" with brackets which are ().
    Or the quotation is in fact two complete sentence and the comma is used to connect the phrase"he promised"?
    The quotation is only the words within inverted commas. There are two sentences there. One contains a quoted sentence, separated by a comma from the words he promised (which is the writer's description of Trump's statement and not a quotation). The second sentence consists only of another quotation, as shown by the fact that it is in inverted commas. It is understood that this is also someting Trump said.
    If the writer saw the sentence (starting with "We") as one sentence and tried to connect the two quotes with "he promised", I think there should have been another comma instead of a period in the sentence "he promised."
    He is not connecting the two quoted sentences with he promised. He quoted the first sentence, described it as a promise and then went on to quote something more that Trump said.

The word "They" in brackets indicates that that isn't actually what Trump said but a substitute inserted by the writer. Trump probably named the cities or perhaps used a filler, as happens in speech.

Cross-posted.

< Previous | Next >