Connection vs. connectivity

< Previous | Next >

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
My computer has a network "connection problem" or "connectivity problem" with the remote server. I can't enter the shared folder on the remote server.

Are they both correct and the same? Thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Google searches suggest that "connection problem" is by far the more widely used term in this context. (But that's not to say that people don't sometimes say "connectivity problem" to mean the same thing.)

A connection is a link between two [or more] things, such as electronic devices.

But connectivity means the ability of one thing to connect to or communicate with another, rather than the connection itself.

Oxford definition of connectivity (in the context of computing):
    capacity for the interconnection of platforms, systems, and applications.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Google searches suggest that "connection problem" is by far the more widely used term in this context. (But that's not to say that people don't sometimes say "connectivity problem" to mean the same thing.)

A connection is a link between two [or more] things, such as electronic devices.

But connectivity means the ability of one thing to connect to or communicate with another, rather than the connection itself.

Oxford definition of connectivity (in the context of computing):
    capacity for the interconnection of platforms, systems, and applications.
    :thumbsup: Thank you!

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
    I agree. Recently, my VPN was down and the VPN company sent me a message saying that we are working to restore connectivity.

< Previous | Next >