Connie was aware from successful, old, hearty, <bluffing> Sir Malcolm

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 24-25, Chapter Two) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Clifford wanted Michaelis to get a good reputation. But Connie wondered……)

Connie wondered a little over Clifford's blind, imperious instinct to become known: known, that is, to the vast amorphous world he did not himself know, and of which he was uneasily afraid; known as a writer, as a first-class modern writer. Connie was aware from successful, old, hearty, bluffing Sir Malcolm, that artists did advertise themselves, and exert themselves to put their goods over. But her father used channels ready-made, used by all the other R.A.s who sold their pictures. Whereas Clifford discovered new channels of publicity, all kinds.

I feel hearty to be warm-hearted, but what does bluffing mean please? I guess it means frank/candid.

Am I right please?
Thank you in advance

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'm not so sure about 'bluffing' because I don't have that impression of Sir Malcolm. He seems genuine, self-assured and confident to me. But I can't explain why Lawrence would use 'bluffing' instead of 'bluff', meaning frank and outspoken, which goes with 'hearty'. Sir Malcolm was open about using every way possible to become well-known and successful in the art world. Connie knew this but all the same she was clearly shocked by Clifford's behaviour, trying to become successful by associating with people like Michaelis.

wandle

English - British
    I think Lawrence means that Sir Malcolm demonstrated the adage that the way to become successful was to do everything you could to appear successful.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you both
    I'm not so sure about 'bluffing' because I don't have that impression of Sir Malcolm. He seems genuine, self-assured and confident to me.
    Maybe Malcolm had to put on the deceptively confident front, when selling his works. And hearty shows his air and facial expression.:)

< Previous | Next >