conocerla, conocerlo / conocerle

nena5

U.S.A., English
Hola y buen día a todos!

Estoy traduciendo una carta, y quiero decir, en español, "it was nice to meet you".... lo que me da problemas es la parte de conocer-- se traduciría:

"Me dio gusto conocerla a usted" o "Me dio gusto conocerle a usted"

Alguna sugerencia por favor??

• volky

Spanish/English
    Hola y buen día a todos!

Estoy traduciendo una carta, y quiero decir, en español, "it was nice to meet you".... lo que me da problemas es la parte de conocer-- se traduciría:

"Me dio gusto conocerla a usted" o "Me dio gusto conocerle a usted"

Alguna sugerencia por favor??

I would say:

Fue un placer conocerla (female)
    Fue un placer conocerlo (male)

(It was a pleasure meeting you)

OHSU

English - American
    According to strict standard grammar, conocerlo is correct.

However, conocerle is accepted and even strongly preferred in some regions. Interminable controversy surrounds the use of le as a direct object pronoun for humans. The standard usage of Spain, preferred by most educated speakers in Madrid and central Spain, favors le as a direct object pronoun for people.

Le vi. = I saw him.
    Lo vi. = I saw it.

There is much disagreement about this phenomenon, known as leísmo, and the Academy has changed its mind on the subject several times in the past 150 years. I believe that the Academy's official position is now to favor the Latin American preference for lo as a direct object pronoun when referring both to inanimate objects and people. However, in the face of massive resistence, the Academy officially "tolerates" le for lo when referring to people.

Many speakers in Spain and elsewhere simply feel that lo is not for people, and using it to refer to a person sounds awkward, wrong, sub-standard, hick, foreign, or... just not right.

Personally, I think the Academy's rules are based on a restrictive concept of "direct" and "indirect" objects that doesn't do justice to the subtleties of the Spanish language on either continent.

OHSU

English - American
    Thanks for such a thorough answer. What are the preferences for different regions in Latin America (especially Mexico)?

I'm pretty sure the standard in Latin America favors lo, especially in writing.

However, in surveys, speakers from many regions in Latin America report that le sounds particularly polite and respectful (especially those regions where has Spain has had the most cultural influence for the longest time).

When choosing between sentences like the following...

Siento mucho molestarle/molestarlo. = I'm sorry for bothering you.

... a high percentage reported that they preferred the form with le when trying to be particularly polite.

Apparently, even in places where lo is considered grammatically "correct", le can be considered a gesture of politeness.

Last edited:

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    I'm pretty sure the standard in Latin America favors lo, especially in writing.

However, in surveys, speakers from many regions in Latin America report that le sounds particularly polite and respectful (especially those regions where has Spain has had the most cultural influence for the longest time).

When choosing between sentences like the following...

Siento mucho molestarle/molestarlo. = I'm sorry for bothering you.

... a high percentage reported that they preferred the form with le when trying to be particularly polite.

Apparently, even in places where lo is considered grammatically "correct", le can be considered a gesture of politeness.

Verbs of the class "afección psíquica", to which also "molestar" belongs, are a little special. See also http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltGUIBusDPD?origen=RAE&lema=leísmo
    item 4.2.a

These can naturally have an IO (Indirect Object) instead of a DO (Direct object). I believe this stems from Latin, where these types of verbs were used with the dative instead of the accusative.

So, even for women, you can correctly say: "espero no molestarle", so this does not really relate to the "leismo".

For the rest, I can only agree with what was said by OHSU.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Thank you very much for the correction and the additional information. It looks like I have some reading to do.
    You're welcome.

It was not meant as a correction, just additional information.

To be complete, I should also have said in my previous post that it's also correct to say "espero no molestarlo/la". Actually, you have the choice. (that is: lo for men, la for women, just to stay on the safe side)